Fungus, Disease, or Insects?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Robert Collins, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Robert Collins

Robert Collins New Seed

I have 2 Persian Lilac trees growing in large pots. I was hoping you could give me some advice based on the pictures I am attaching. As you can see, on one of the trees, the leaves are in pretty bad shape. When new foilege grows, it only stays green for a short period of time before turning brown like the existing leaves. The second tree was really thriving, but now it, too, is starting to turn brown.

I was hoping you might be able to diagnose this for me. Does this appear to be some kind of fungus or is it perhaps a insect causing this (though I am not seeing any)? And based on your diagnosis, what product would you suggest as a remedy? As you can also see from the pictures, the Azaleas growing under the lilac tree are also in bad shape. I have to think, from the proximity, that whatever is causing one is likely causing the other.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can provide.

C34CB629-EACE-4596-81B0-BADF8D8D7D14.jpeg

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Looks very much like Sooty mould. At sometime there must have been greenfly on the plants and the mould has grown on their honeydew, ( basically aphid urine).
    So first of all deal with the aphids then the mould. There are fungicides which claim to help fight it.

Sjoerd likes this.