Galvanized vs. Plastic Stock Tank for Water Lilies

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I want to set up the new home for the water lilies. The more I read, the more I can't make my mind up!
    I want it to be above ground for ease of installing and maintaining. The plastic one was my first thought... it's lighter, cheaper, but it's black. I fear it will just get too hot. I thought about either painting it or "wrapping it" with bamboo shades (like I'm using now to hide the ugly barrel). Either method would add to the cost of the project. Not to mention the added work.
    So I started looking into the galvanized tanks. But don't they still rust? Any of you farmers/ranchers know how long they last?
    Has anyone used the galvanized tank for a pond? If so, are there any special things that need to be done for the health of the plants and/or fish?
    Thanks for any input!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Galvanized metal will not rust, the galvanizing process coats the metal with a protective layer of Zinc to prevent rust.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    A galvanized stock tank won't rust, but it will cause you to squint on a sunny day! Until it ages a bit the surface will be shiny enough to reflect a lot of light. Back to the bamboo . . . .

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It might depend on the quality of the tank or the quality of your water. I have couple of galvanized chicken waterers and one sprung a leak. It developed a tiny rusty pinhole in the bottom of the container. So I filled it with silicone goop and it still works, but the water develops a distinct odor and color overnight, Which I think is because it is little rusty. maybe the galvanizing was a bad/cheap job.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Thanks you all.
    Hmmmm... I still can't decide yet.
    Big black thank that I'll have to cover so the plants and fish won't fry...
    Or big shiny tank that might blind me! :D

Carolyn... about how long did you have the tank before it sprung the leak? And that color/odor... do you think it would be something that would harm the lilies and/or fish?

I do appreciate y'alls input!

7. cherylad

Okay.... I've slept on it and made my decision based on cost and esthetics.
    I'm going to go with the galvanized.
    Even though the initial cost is a little more than plastic, in the long run, it will end up costing less. With the plastic one, I'd have to buy paint or bamboo curtain to wrap it in. Both of which I know won't last but a couple of years... maximum. And then I'd have to reinvest... making this an ongoing expense.
    With the galvanized, if after years, it springs a leak, then I might have to patch it like Carolyn did.
    And then probably the deciding factor... I was looking around my garden area yesterday. There's the old tub with the strawberries. Old painted bucket hanging on the ugly fence. Another old bucket waiting to be planted up. Not to mention the galvanized archway.
    So the galvanized tank would fit in pretty well... once it oxidizes a bit.
    Plus... if it ever does rust or spring a leak that can't be repaired, it could be used as a raised bed!

8. Roses5A

Roses5A New Seed

Cherylad- I think that I would have opted for the galvanized also. With the new tank being just for lillies, are you going to have a pump and filter system? The house I bought has a pond but they previous owners took the system.

9. cherylad

Hi Roses...
    No pump or anything. It's just for the couple of water lilies and a few comet goldfish... plus a few snails who have moved in. That's plenty for me... for now! :D