Garden Chores

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was decent weather a couple of days ago and so it was off to the lottie for a bit of worksy. Everything there needs attention--everything in the veggie plots and everything in the flowering plant section. The weather started out good but soon began to change...we were up against it.

In the veggie garden the task today was to select the plot and rake the mulch back and then dig a trench.
    zzz2.jpg

This trench would hold the contents of the greenhouse, the idea being that first dig the trench, then dig out the soil in the greenhouse and them dump it into the hole.
    zzz1.jpg

If you look closely, you can see a couple of wheelbarrow soil dumps in the trench. The pile which came out of the trench (on the left) will be used to fill the dug-out areas in the greenhouse.
    zzz.jpg

What we will do is to make a mixture of 1/3rd garden soil, 1/3rd well-rotted manure and 1/3rd compost. This gets our toms and peppers off to a good start and then when the toms begin top flower and we see the first pea-sized fruit forming we will begin supplemental feeding of the various mixtures that we make for this purpose.

Shifting our attention over to the flower section of our allotment, we decided to remove and re-fill the wood chip paths and clean-up the first two plots.

Here you can see the naked arch (upper majority of the Clematis cut back) with the ground below cleaned of some debris and all of the weeds.
    zzz3.jpg

The following foto depicts the target plot. I hand cleaned and scratched in-between the perennials.
    zzz4.jpg

The path gives an idea of how it is beginning to look. The grass in-between the paving tiles has been removed since the foto was taken.
    zzz6.jpg

Then a final foto of the work--showing the other path, which runs between the newly cleaned plots.
    zzz5.jpg

After the work, my Bride cut three daffs to take home...the first of the season. After a couple of days; when the buds had opened, I took the piccy.
    zzz7.jpg

Odif, Beeker, Jerry Sullivan and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I envy you, Sjoerd! I've been trying to get out to the flower beds and the raised vegetable beds for over a week.Damp, foggy, rainy weather has kept us inside. When the weather allows, there will be two exhausted people here!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Things are looking good around there Sjoerd!
    I am chomping at the bit to get into the gardens, but it will still be a while here. I have a few feet of snow on the gardens and bitter cold temperatures.

5. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Sjoerd, You have such excellent work done in digging the trench. Compliments on the first daffodils of Spring.