Garden projects

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Frank, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Have you guys and gals got any garden projects up your sleeves for this year? A new bird house perhaps of maybe a new patio? There must some creative people out there :)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Trying to make two small ponds into one but the weather has halted progress. This is as far as we've got. :cry:

[​IMG]

After that we have the other 3/4 of the garden to reorganise and our other back garden to tackle!!! :eek:

The other garden is behind the beech hedge at the back of the photograph and almost the same size as the one in the piccie. We've decided to change it from a 'woodland glen' to an organic veggie patch - well maybe!!! :p

4. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Last year I obtained two 4' diameter hexagonal wooden planters which are to be placed in the side garden on two similar areas of grass, mirror-image of each other. These planters are usually employed as sand-pits for children, or for small flowers/shrubs. However, I like the idea of filling them with quartz stones, with a medium-large size terracota pot in the centre. Not sure yet on the plant to be put in them. In the front garden and at the side garden nearest the house, I'm hoping to get 2 circular grey-stone effect planters, possibly placing a variety of azalea in each. After that, well....

C.J.

5. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Further to the above.

I've not long been reminded of another task that I was/am considering. The extension patio attached to the back of the house is south-facing, so when it gets really warm and sunny, not much shade. Not enough room for a garden table which has a parasol in the centre. :rolleyes:

However, I seen an excellent parasol which has a bracket secured to the wall, with a swivel arm, that allows you to adjust the parasol as the sun moves round. When not in use, the parasol detaches and the arm folds back. Great idea. :smt023

I imagine there will be several more projects thought about before, during and after summer. :)

C.J. ;)

Advertisement
  6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Living with Dooley I have found that certain garden jobs she does cannot wait for my part to be done when I feel like it. After building an exercise room, a greenhouse and putting up some fence lines, I believe my next project will involve a hammock and a siesta. DR

7. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Well, summer must be here, as I've just recently acquired a new mower and strimmer, as well as having obtained and secured 4 trellis planters against the back fence (using the 2" L-shaped brackets), trying now to decide on shrubs to put in them. Also, soon to be obtaining tree bark to fill in the 2' borders at either side fence in the back garden, one is 50' long and the other about 20', to 'bring in' these areas more to the main grass.

Ordered a small solar-powered cascade fountain for the extension patio, which will enhance this enclosed area nicely. This will accompany the 3 zinc planters positioned in there recently, won in a gardening magazine earlier this year. So, all of these, along with other items already in place, makes this an interesting seating area.

Hoping to add one or two solar lights on to the handrail of the wooden stairs I built at the washing green. Maybe a different type of lights than the types previously added.

It just shows you, never mind the parasol and the hexagon planters, other ideas are always being considered and acted upon, that weren't thought of seriously before.

C.J.

8. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Well, put Pieris Japonica Little Heath shrubs into the 4 trellis planters, filled both borders with tree bark, assembled and secured the cascade fountain in the extension patio. On completion, cut, strimmed and edged the grass.

Awaiting 2 'Tiffany' style solar lights, one for hut, one for extension patio. Will be moving present solar light on to the arbour in back corner of garden.

Finally, the very next day the sun was out, I was out, and a few beers were out, well in, after I drank them ! :D

Paradise ! 8)

C.J.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Erm CJ? Can we possibly see some piccies of your garden please? It sounds amazing and I'd love to see it!!! :-D

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Wow, sounds like you've been quite busy indeed - yes, pictures!

11. tweetykiss

tweetykiss Seedling

Well,

You guys all I think know my plans....I will now buy three hanging baskets....two for the back and one for the front.

12. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Opted for a heavyweight base and a nice-sized parasol for the extension patio. Not the wall-fixed type as planned, but hey, it'll do.

Added a stone planter to front grass with 'Gorbella' shrub.

Added 3 silver solar lights, which shine quite bright, on the more empty side fence in back garden. Intending to place 5 hanging baskets onto the swivel brackets already in place on same fence.

Still waiting on the 'Tiffany' solar lights to arrive.

C.J.

13. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Summer project

This is in the works right now. Took plastic off an outdoor umbrella and put chicken wire on it. Went to "junkyard from hell" and got these chairs for a dollar. Anchored everything to the ground and am growing cypress vines to cover. [​IMG] Just finished a top for the little rusty table[​IMG]but have decided it is too elaborate and will have to make another and lean this up somewhere :-| since it wasn't made with a hanger. I have high hopes for this "garden room".

14. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Hooray ! The solar lights arrived. 4 of them. 2 now in place, the other 2 spare. Now, roll on the night, to see how they look. :-D

C.J.

15. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Our major project this year was to redo a large flower bed. Everytime we till here the ground sinks. This was the first bed we made so we did not know that. We took out all the daylilies, tons of irises, amarylis, ginger, assorted other stuff, I still have one piece of ginger left in it and some mexican petunia. It has now gotten way too hot to transplant the petunia so it will have to wait till the fall.. I am going to put black plastic over it to kill the grass and this fall I will have bedding mix hauled in and replant.