Gardenias in Zone 6?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by angieebert, Nov 10, 2012.

1. angieebert

angieebert New Seed

I recently purchased two Summer Snow Gardenia which the catalog claimed would survive winters in Zone 6. However, all my research is telling me otherwise-that they must be brought in during the colder months.

Does anyone have any experience with the Summer Snow Gardenia and whether it is hardy enough to survive a Zone 6 winter?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never heard of a gardenia being hardy into zone 6. I hate to see you lose them, but is there a money back guarantee form where you bought them? if so, leave them out and try it.

4. angieebert

angieebert New Seed

http://www.honeycreeknurseries.com/detail.asp?pid=4819

This is the website that I purchased them from. I should be able to return them if they die, but this company is kind of a pain to deal with. I placed an order with them in the spring and so many things arrived dead and didn't survive planting. Very disappointing. Hopefully they survive just so I don't have to go through the company again.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Angie, The information has the growing area as zone 6-10. I think Zone 6 is pushing it as a Z6 can occasionally experience Z5 conditions. However, we all have noticed the warmer conditions effecting us as 'global warming' presents us with unusual swings in our regular patterns. Watch the bushes closely, document how you treat them, pictures will help you remember, time erodes our memories. Write down in a notebook what you do. We will look forward to green bushes in the spring and maybe a blossom or two.

Welcome to GardenStew, advice and encouragement is a few key clicks away with a world of friendly gardeners at your fingertips. Welcome aboard.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Well, since you got two, why not plant just one and keep one in the pot?
    Then you can later on in spring plant the second one, if all goes well, and winter proves to be OK for your gardenia :)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My thoughts are that I wouldn't deal with them again...

If you decide to plant them out protect them well. Put 3 or 4 stakes around them and wrap the whole plant with burlap for the winter. maybe even save a bag or two of leaves and as soon or if it gets cold insulate the plants with a layer of leaves, removing them as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

OR

Pot them up in larger containers, such as the urns for patios, and move them to your garage if you have one or the space in one. The one thing you need to watch for is that they don't dry out during the winter if they are in a garage. Most likely the pot they are in isn't going to hold a lot of moisture for them for very long so I wouldn't advise to leave them in the pots if they came in them. If they came bare rooted and you planted them, they may be fine. What are they planted in now and what kind of potting mix did you use?