Gardening Related Business Ideas.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Jan 14, 2024.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I believe this is something we as gardeners must have all thought about at one point or another. So that's why I'm starting this thread over here - To brainstorm about the business potential of gardening.

We all are regular visitors at our own local gardening shops. So come to think of it, this actually makes perfect sense - Because who's better suited and more experienced about gardening, then us?

But what to start out with? What's the best and easiest gardening related business people like us can set-up quickly?

Why can't money grow on trees, at least for us??? That's the real question I'm asking here.

IMG_20240114_054245.jpg

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

Hello @S-H, you've brought up an intriguing topic for fellow garden enthusiasts! Starting a gardening-related business is an exciting venture, especially when you're already passionate about it.

S-H, Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Never made much money ..every spring would start flowers from seed in my itty bitty greenhouse. Had flats and flats of young garden plants for sale by Mother’s Day. It was fun to grow from seeds because the were more varieties available from seed catalogs than just what’s available at local nurseries. My favorite flower was the cup and saucer flower.The flower looked just like a cup sitting on a saucer- campanula - from seed , in pinks and blues.
    And the easiest to grow from seed were zinnias. I had a small U-Cut flower garden . With dahlias, iris, campanulas, roses, Irish bells, zinnias, hydrangeas and evergreens clippings for the Holidays.

S-H and Willowisp0801 like this.
  5. LandynRoth

LandynRoth New Seed

One promising idea could be offering gardening consultation services. With your experience, you could advise others on plant care, garden design, and even help them troubleshoot gardening issues. Your expertise can be a valuable resource for fellow gardening enthusiasts.
    As for the question of money growing on trees, while it may not literally happen, a well-planned gardening business can certainly be profitable. To keep your business organized and efficient, you might want to explore project management tools like the project management gantt chart. They are great for planning and tracking your gardening projects.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024

Advertisement
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

What about a cut flower business, people could come and pick their own flowers.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Did the ucut and consult and prepared renderings for landscape plant designs. It was a demanding business. Never made much money really, there is a lot of competition and the big corporate company’s always won the bidding on projects.

S-H, Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Thanks guys for all your lovely suggestions - I knew I could always count on our lovely community for fresh ideas.

I have a very good friend who's interested in setting up such a business. She's a highly skilled gardener herself, so that's why I said to her, that why don't you start a business which is your hobby too? She really liked the idea.

But instead of just me suggesting everything, I thought why not get other people's opinions also? Otherwise if only one person is giving ideas, then it could lead to stagnation of thought...

So thank you all, for your wonderful ideas. I've also asked my friend to join GardenStew. So I hope we all will soon have another new and highly skilled member in our community.

:cool:

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Clever …getting all the options is important. Hope your friend joins us here.

Logan and S-H like this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I've sent her the link, so I'm sure she'll read everything soon.

I actually suggested a gardening related business. Because I noticed, (both here and elsewhere too) - That after the pandemic, more and more people got into gardening.

Some did so because they now had too much extra time on their hands during the lockdowns. While others got into gardening, because they wanted to start growing a little of their own food - Food security, it's now called, (as it got them some peace of mind).

Also everybody now wants to do something positive for the environment too. So just by growing ordinary plants, we automatically increase the level of oxygen in our air.

Therefore seeing all of that, made me realize that now there is big potential in a gardening and agriculture related business.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. AnaBailey

AnaBailey New Seed

One option is a small U-Cut flower garden. People can come and pick their own flowers like dahlias, zinnias, and roses. It’s a fun way to connect with the community and earn some money.

S-H likes this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes, that another useful suggestion. Thank you @AnaBailey :like: