GardenStew is 10 Years Old! Win Special Mug or T-Shirt!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Frank, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow guys, can you believe it?! GardenStew is 10 years old today, Jan 25th 2015. This fact is both exciting and scary (where has the time gone?!). Over the years we have helped virtually in each other's gardens, had many laughs and shared countless anecdotes. Thousands of photos, blog entries and plant database entries have been shared. I'm really excited for what the future holds!

To celebrate GardenStew is giving away 3 Special Edition prizes, which feature a choice between a mug or t-shirt.

I've done up some mockups of how the prizes will look.
    Here is a close-up of the Special Edition logo:

[​IMG]

Here is the logo on a mug:

[​IMG]

Here is the logo on a t-shirt (different colours are available):
    [​IMG]

As I want these to be special items for the winners I can also work with you to customize the item more to your tastes :)

-----------
    How To Enter

Simply answer the following question in a post below:
    "What do GardenStew members (Stewbies) mean to you?"

You can answer the question in any way you see fit as I will be selecting the winners at random anyway.

Some rules:
    - Only one entry/post per member.
    - Only one prize per member (out of a total of 3 prizes).
    - You must have been a member before the time this competition was posted.
    - Once this topic is locked the competition will not be accepting further entries. I'll leave it open for at least 2 days from the time this topic is created.

---------

That's it! Best of luck in this competition and THANK YOU SO MUCH for making GardenStew the amazing community it is today. When I announce the competition winners in a few days time I'll have another announcement for you all. Stay tuned! :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

When you need support during trying times, they are there for you. When you say something really stupid, they correct you, nicely and when you just need a hug, they are there!

S-H likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What do Stewbies mean to me?

Wow! Where do I start?

You are my garden mentors. Without you all and your wealth of wisdom I would not be the gardener I am today. You are my support system. I've shared my bad times with you, and received the equivalent of warm and loving hugs and a strong shoulder to cry on in the form of compassion, understanding, advice, and the occasional kick in the derriere when I needed it. You are my friends. I've shared my good times, my kids and grandkids, my decorating ideas and problems, my ups and downs, my life, and you've responded just the way friends would. You've sifted through my rambles, kept what was worth keeping, and with kindness ignored the rest.

Y'all are the best! :stew1:

S-H likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Stew members are my gardening friends. They know more than I do but don't rub it in, and are sympathetic, funny, and a constant source of information and smiles.

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

GardenStew is my favorite place to come for inspiration. Not just for gardening, but cooking, canning, helpful hints and just chatting. It's also a great place to share what I am doing around my house and gardens, and ask for opinions. Stewbies have great advice :D

S-H likes this.
  7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Winter covered the garden in bright white snow as I hunted for planting ideas for spring. There were no lack of garden sites that provided information but something was missing. My hunt went on and off for several days until I hit upon a forum. People talked about their gardens, swapped seeds, presented garden problems and had their own blogs. Interested, I joined, thinking I would occasionally stop by and see what was happening. A few friendly conversations later…. I now had a garden family. Each day I open the site it was like walking in the front door. A place you don’t want to leave because you know you are home.

Jerry

S-H likes this.
  8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Gardenstew is the one place I come to every day come rain or shine. I've made many friends here and have even met a few offline. I have a place to ask questions and give my advice freely. I've been gardening over 60 years and it's getting about time to hang up my shovel and hoe. It will not stop me from coming here to meet my friends and find out what they are attempting new for this year.
    I've been coming here since July 2nd, 2005 and will be here as long as I have a computer.

dooley

S-H likes this.
  9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I would be totally lost without GardenStew. Even though I "thought" I knew what I was doing when it came to flower gardening, come to find out I didn't know a dang thing! :D
    I come here everyday to learn, to laugh, to get inspiration. And to steal ideas for plants, design, and junk.
    I don't belong to any other garden forums. How could they even come close to this group of knowledgeable and friendly people from all over the world?

S-H likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Capt. Kirk--Ronni---Marling----Netty----Jerry---Dooley---Chery----you all have said what my heart feels so often about my Stewbie family from all over the world. Sending hugs to all. :stew1:

S-H likes this.
  11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Once again my GardenStew family have all the right answers. That's why I come here. My home away from home.

S-H likes this.
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    GardenStew is a kind, caring community that shares my love of gardening and nature. A place where I have been inspired, entertained, encouraged and educated. Love GardenStew for all the great people it has brought together in a supporting world wide gardening nonpolitical context. :stew1:

S-H likes this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

What I like best about GardenStew, you all have already mentioned, (so no point in repeating it in my own words)... But I would like to share something with everyone over here - Which is that here everyone from all over the world is made to feel welcome. Why? Because this place is a collection of like-minded people, plain and simple! Best of all, it is totally free to join, (so full marks to Frank for dedicating his time and energy in making it all possible for of us)! :)

Also, today in this world, (not in cyberspace but in real life) - It's more or less a Dog eats Dog kind of a culture now, (generally saying of course). So realistically speaking, it is today extremely unlikely to come across like-minded people as neighbors and/or friends - Instead of passionately loving nature, caring for plans and trees, people enjoy trampling over them... Therefore it's actually the power of the internet which we all should be thankful for. Otherwise it would have been extremely unlikely for anyone of us to meet.

Now on a somewhat personal note - In my own case, I once met a very courageous lady. Anyway cutting a long story short, when someone questioned about her courage - She smilingly said that it's all about how we interact with others. And suggested that we all should first treat others exactly the way we expect to be treated. Yes it takes courage, but do try it for a while and see the positive affect (she said)...

So at first I found the concept to be very naive, but later it slowly started to sink in. It just felt alien to me at first, as my own attitude was (and still is) to just mirror everything back at people. So if they are good, then they get the same positive attitude returned to them. But if they are horrible, then they get it back from me (often with interest)... That anyway is what best suits my misanthropic personality.

So this is what today makes me strong and very successful in life! In fact, one relative said that Frank Sinatra's My Way song was probably sung just for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljrFQyE1hAg
    While another said that I am just like a rabid dog that is miraculously (and thankfully) staying in control [but just barely]...

However, according to that lovely lady's theory, I probably still lack courage, (to stop mirroring and start being nice regardless of what I'll get returned back to me)... But here at the GardenStew, since there is not a single negative person over here - Is the reason why I too can relax for real and freely interact with you all! So for being nice to everyone as a default, (and for being more courageous then me in this regard) - I really thank you all, as it (slowly) is also enabling me to become courageous as well.

:stew1:

toni, cuatro-gatos and Donna S like this.
  14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I came as a noob to learn gardening and I learn much more than just gardening. Thank you all, you are the best!

marlingardener likes this.
  15. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Garden Stew is my one and only web site for interacting with gardeners all over the world. I love hearing all the different perspectives on what we all love; growing everything from trees to the smallest container of annuals and everything in between.
    In the years I've been a member, I have made some truly special friends. Love you Garden Stew!

16. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I learned of GardenStew from my sister, you know her as Dooley. I really enjoy the comments of all the members and though I have been a gardener for many years I have learned a lot. Having members from all over the world makes me feel like I travel to all those places. I can't garden like I once did but do try to have a few containers with vegies and flowers. GardenStew is one of the first and last places I visit and say "hello" everyday.