Gate Chains and Painting Ornaments

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by azw1879, Apr 7, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I don't know if this is helpful, but I used the chains and clips from old hanging baskets for attaching to gates, using the clip to click on to a U-nail, or something similar, to hold the gate open when working between areas. Stops the gate always trying to close, or having to use a brick, etc. to hold it in place.

When painting the 2 white stone ornaments and also a white meter in the garden, I tend to use non-drip gloss, as I found that masonry paint flaked off very quickly.

C.J.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great tips C.J. I like the hanging basket chains and clips tip. I've seen this in other gardens and it seems to be the best solution :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hey I never thought of that!!! A great solution for keeping the shed door open when we're out working in the garden when it's windy. Thanks CJ. :D

5. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Yes. I use a chain for the hut door too. However, because it is higher up and more noticeable, instead of U-nails or clips, I added open hooks to the chain, and used decorative metal wardrobe handles to place the hooks in. Keeping the decorative theme, I also attached an old-fashioned metal handle to the outside of the door and a lion door-chapper to the front. Unusual, but it does look good.

C.J.

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

DR did that with the greenhouse door. He put a hook on the door and an eye on the gardenshed wall and we can hook the door back when it's open so the wind doesn't catch it. Dooley