Getting an old computer running again.

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by karahuels, Sep 24, 2022.

1. karahuels

karahuels New Seed

Hello folks,
    I'm trying to get an old computer running. Not that old, only about 4 years old. My hard drive crashed and I decided to go with an SSD. It is a new SSD and doesn't have any type of operating system on it yet. I would like to put Puppy Linux on the SSD. I took out the old HD and put in the new SSD. I tried turning it on, and the computer starts up, but the monitor keeps going to sleep. I'm not hearing any beeps either. I really don't know what I'm doing to tell the truth. I know I have to get the Linux program on the SSD but I have no idea how to get started. I think I have to put the Linux program on a USB drive but After that, I'm not sure what to do. If I put the USB drive in a slot, will it boot up from the USB drive? I'm kind of lost here but I don't have a lot of money to take the computer to a shop and let them get it going so I'm trying to do this on my own. I'm on a fixed income, SS, and I don't have the money to take this to a shop. Can anyone help me with this? I want to learn Linux and get away from Microsoft for the most part.

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I would recommend that as a first time user that maybe Linuxmint is a good place to start.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

This page explains quite well the steps you need to take to install linux-mint via dvd or via usb.

This should be self evident, but if you struggle, then pm me and I can help.

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Check for what is recommended for the usb formatting before you begin. Loading programs are commonly FAT32 bit although 64 bit file allocation tables are also a choice for general file work. This is very true if you update your bios before you begin, which could be important. I recently built 5 lga1700 socket motherboards using the business oriented b660 chipset, and even though they were new, the bios was v2.0 and the maker was already up to v8.0. They had a v6.0 they indicated as a stable version, which I used, because 3 of the machines wanted to not wake up the screen after sleep.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022