Getting Rid Of Bugs In Your Garden.

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Philip Nulty, May 7, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Why mildew? Oh.......because things can get moist with the dew, right?

Thanks! That completely clears that up.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Ronni,..roses for example get Mildew if the leaves remain wet for a long period without getting the opportunity to dry,..some other plants have the same problem,..so we tend not to wet the leaves when watering,..so just the base,..its best as Marlingardener mentioned to water or spray in the morning.

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Question about Neem oil. Does it need to be the 100% pure? I found a vitamin shop that carries it for around $12 for ONE ounce.
    The garden centers have some that are 70% pure... 8 ounces for around $9.00. Will that work just as well?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Cheryl, I think the garden center is the one you want. I checked mine and found no %. It's made by Garden Safe. It's a insecticide,a fungicide and a miticide. 2 oz. to a gallon of water, so it goes a long ways. It can be used up to day of harvest and it's for organic gardening. Hope this helps.

Henry Johnson and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..no the Neem Oil need not be 100% pure Neem Oil,..if you were to get say the,.. Cold Pressed Neem Oil,.. this is the one used for human external use,..sometimes for internal use under supervision,..it has added ingredients like Sweet Almond Oil,..Bergamot,..Rosemary,..and Eucalyptus,..classified as a benefit of your skin,..so this along with the quarter teaspoon of Liquid Soap and the Quart of warm water works fine,..warm water is really to enable the oil to disperse throughout the water.

If you get a higher or lower volume of Neem Oil it will still work,..bugs eat,..they get sick,..no further generation,..of course you should spray again in about three weeks in case newcomer bugs try to take up residence,..but the odor alone deters them,..plus your greenery will be healthier.

As i mentioned "Healthier",..that applies to humans as well and so the following link as to Neem Oil use for us.

For Humans.
    Neem Seed Oil

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  6. cherylad

Good to know that it doesn't have to be the 100% because I was just about to order some online.
    One place had some that was the 70% and about 10% Pyrethrin. I almost bought it because that's one of the ingredients in the mix I'm using to spray my baby apples... but the price was WAY up there.
    I'll stick to the reasonable priced one.
    Thanks for info!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..you have to wonder at the comparison in prices,..i know i mentioned the Neem Oil remedy was more expensive than using the household ingredients mix but there is a limit to what is a reasonable price and what is over the top.

8. cherylad

16 ounces of the 70% was $30 a local family-owned nursery versus $10 at the home improvement big box stores.
    And that vitamin store... that wanted $10-12 for ONE ounce of the 100%... online you can get 8 ounces for around $15-20.
    Pays to shop around! :stew2:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Oh my goodness white powdery mildew gets my squash and pumpkin everytime and I have lost a lot of plants to that stuff! I'm going out right this second with your milk mix and try to save my 4 remaining pumpkin plants and my 2 squash plants. Thanks again. I'm feeling pretty confident that I will get more veggies this year due to some great tips I've gotten from my awesome stewbies! :)

Philip Nulty and poodledoodlemom like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Mrs Galeassi,..it will work for you,..whether you use a mix of either the following.

40% Milk to 60% Water.
    30% Milk to 70% Water.
    10% Milk to 90% Water.

There were good results from the 10% Milk to 90% Water,..Skim Milk or Whole Milk,..as its the protein that enables it to work rather than the milkfat.

Tooty2shoes and Mrs. Galeassi like this.
  11. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I'm a bit late to this thread :rolleyes: but on following the link about Neem oil in Philip's first post I now may have a solution to the ever-present scale insects on my ficus houseplants-Hurrah!! It may also hinder the greenfly that seem to like my new geums a bit too much!

Thank you Philip.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Boy oh boy, I am loving all the recipes for getting rid of garden pests and disease naturally. I to love neem. Thanks Philip for all the links and recipes. :stew2:

13. cherylad

I had stink bugs attack my Cardoon (hubby also said they wiped out his few tomato plants). There had to be at least 50 to a hundred of them. I grabbed by spray bottle of Neem Oil mix and gave it a good dose. Next day, I noticed a significant reduction in the amount of them... but there were still plenty. So I gave them another spraying and this time followed up with Pyrethrin (in dog shampoo) mixed with iodine. Next day... only a few left. So I sprayed again with the Neem Oil. No sign of them anymore... except the dead one's laying on the ground.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Potato bugs / roly-pollies

I think some people call them pill bugs too...? I went outside last night just to take a peek at my garden and it looked like the ground was moving!!!!! So gross. Does this neem oil mixture help with these things too? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from poodledoodlemom's Garden )

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Can I use any of these mixes on seedlings? I think one of my tomato seedlings has the powdery mildew. :/