Glowing gardens (bioluminescence)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Jul 4, 2016.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

What would your reaction be, if someday you get to see a garden that lights itself after the sun goes down? Or plants and trees on either side of the road, that have enough of a glow that we wouldn't need streetlights! :eek:

[​IMG]

Too good to be true??? No, it's all real, 100% real... And by the looks of it, we are very likely to see it in the near future.

Read more about it here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/science...-mushrooms-conservation-enviroment-bioscience

And over here you can even pre-order seeds for such plants:
    http://www.glowingplant.com/

You can even give it a try yourself and see how successful you'll be trying to convert all your existing plants into glow-in-the-dark plants! As over here they are selling glowing plant maker kits, which includes all the ingredients you need to genetically transform your own plants at home! :nerdy:
    http://www.glowingplant.com/maker

Alright, maybe it will work, or maybe it won't - But they are attempting to do it, and so far the early results are very positive! And so one day in the near future I am sure someone from somewhere is going to make it happen. After which seeds and saplings will be selling freely over the internet, (regardless of whatever anti GM regulations which may anywhere)! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also see these 2 videos too:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Philip Nulty, eileen and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Remind me of the plants on Pandora in the movie 'Avatar' :) Not sure I would like a garden full of them, maybe one as a talking point in the corner.

S-H and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Seems like a great idea to me. You could have them lining pathways or as feature plants in the garden. They would certainly save you money as they wouldn't have bulbs or batteries that needed replacing.

5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

NOT for me - whats happens and is happening naturally then let it be so - I many times get a feeling that man meddles with Nature far far too much and so often with a very negative and detrimental result. I will settle for the occasional Glow worms we get in our garden here.
    Speaking of meddling with Nature I get a mental picture of someone (man) high up a tree - sitting out on a branch and sawing through it steadily between himself and the trunk......... nuff said.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I don't know about bioluminescence but I definitely have my share of solar garden lights out there outlining along the garden walls. I love having the lights at night to highlight here and there. Extends my time to appreciate the outdoors ;) :)

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't think I'd like it at all. It's too sci-fy looking.

S-H likes this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The top photo does remind me of the movie, "Avatar."

S-H likes this.
  9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. I also like a few "as you can buy" solar/elec lights in the garden at night for sure but these do not meddle/interfere with nature.