Gmail Opinions

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by bsewnsew, Sep 16, 2007.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

thanks gang.....

Thanks for all the advice......

I am using both IE and Firefox.......Some things arent doing well on each of them.......So between both , i get partial well.. ha ha

Now Frank you use Gmail? Meaning it is free? Doesn't it have to go thru another server to get online?

Clue me in.

barb :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Re: thanks gang.....

Gmail is free Barb. I used to use Yahoo Mail but then it started to let tons of spam into my Inbox and it was slow-loading. So I switched over to Gmail and set it up so that it fetched mail from my old Yahoo Mail account also. I haven't looked back. I recently convinced my brother to switch to Gmail also and he was very grateful.

Give it a try:
    http://mail.google.com/

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

gmail

What do I do with the server I now have..
    Do i need it to make gmail go ?

:oops:
    You run this forum on Gmail?

Is it for unlimited ?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Barb, check out the website Frank gave you. It gives detailed instructions on setting up a gmail account. It is your email client....i.e. Mozilla Thunderbird, Pegasus or whichever you use for email, that gets your mail from whereever you tell it to, no matter which server you use.

I have three gmail accounts, one for GardenStew, one for the recycle list I own and a trash one to use when I have to give an email address on a website and I don't want to receive 'updates' from them.....
    and the email account thru our provider that I use for a couple of other lists I am on and my regular email.

I love having Gardenstew and my other list on separate accounts so that mail comes into their individual inboxes and I don't have to search thru everything to find it.

I think Randy and Amanda have several more gmail accounts than I do.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Toni have you ever used filters combined with labels to do the same thing? I have set up a filter that recognises any mail from GardenStew and applies the label "GardenStew" to it. Then all I have to do is to click the "GardenStew" label link and bingo all the relevant mails appear :) Let me know if you want a detailed tutorial on this.

7. toni

I have had filters on my original email account in the past but no need for them now since I have the two gmail accounts. I do have filters on the gmail account I use for the recycle list.

With Mozilla Thunderbird for my email client, all my accounts are lined up down the left side of the screen and I can click back and forth between the inboxes easily.

I really like gmail too because of it's SPAM filter. I don't get SPAM in my gmail, Randy has said something about having my regular email account routed thru another gmail account so it will block out the dozens of SPAM I get there every day.
    I go to my accounts online every couple of months...or more like whenever I happen to think about it..and delete the contents of the SPAM folder.

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

gmail

Thanks Toni

I am working up courage .I must go slowly.

Barb

9. toni

Me too Barb. But being married to a computer Geek and having a daughter who is a computer Geek, I let them do the setting up, installing, etc and show me the basics then I'm all set to use it.

10. Frank

Yes this is a great idea Toni, Gmail has the ability to pull mail from other email accounts after you verify that you own them. Have a look under "Settings -> Accounts".

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

gmail

Maybe I will try tonite, when the sun goes down.

Right now it is shining an I wanna see some flowers.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Ok gang.........I tried to get on gmail.

I messed around trying to fill out the forms and blew it ....

Am I supposed to use my email address for my present server??????

It said what letters and numbers then some other questions.........I couldn't get on .
    Did it wrong I guess.

b

13. Frank

Gmail has nothing to do with any present email address you have Barb. It is a totally new account. Stick with the registration process, it's worth it :)

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I did it Gmail account is on.......

Ok, Frank and Joni;

I managed to get on to the gmail and the messages worked really cool.
    Your both correct.

Now my mind is worried if My regular phone line, which is Verizon, will it charge me to use Gmail on its line?

The reason I ask......It says somewhere that cellphones
    Wireless......May charge a fee.. I aren't on a cell phone.

barb

15. Frank

Re: I did it Gmail account is on.......

This is only if you are accessing Gmail from your cellphone/mobile phone Barb. Since you are accessing it through your computer it's free (well of course you still need to pay your normal Internet connection bills :))

No Gmail is no different than accessing GardenStew. It is just another website :smt001

-----------------

Having said that there is a certain group in the US lobbying for the big telcos to charge big websites more for their bandwidth. If they succeed it will be really harmful to the open Internet we have now and the extra costs could eventually be passed along to you the website visitor. This affects big sites like Google, Yahoo, eBay etc... You can read all about what you can do to prevent this happening at Save The Internet.

16. toni

Ever since the 1968 Carterphone decision, the telephone companies have been ticked off and trying to regain control. :rolleyes:
    A bit of trivia.....Randy and I met while working for Carterphone at the manufacturing facility where they built the modems and the ST-1. He was in testing and repair and I worked with the Cost Accountant.