God's own country?

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by eileen, Jan 10, 2006.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

An American was visiting the British Isles and, being a good Christian, decided to visit the historic churches and cathedrals.

On his first day in London he was inside a church taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read "$10,000 per call, all major credit cards taken".

Being intrigued, he asked a nearby priest what the telephone was for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God.

Marvelling at this, he thanked the priest and went on his way.

Next stop was Birmingham. There, at the cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it.

He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he had seen in London and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God.

"O.K., thank you," said the American.

He then travelled to Scotland, then on to Ireland and Wales and in every cathedral he saw the same golden telephone with the same "$10,000 per call, all major credit cards taken" sign under it.

Upon leaving England later he decided to travel to check churches in other countries. Finally he chose Australia, and upon arriving in Sydney, in the first cathedral he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read "40 cents per call, maximum $5"

The American was surprised so he spoke to a priest about the sign."Father, I've travelled all over the world and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven, but in other countries the price was $10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?"

The priest smiled and answered, "You're in Australia now my son - here it's a local call."

2. Loading...

3. Glyn

Glyn New Seed