Goings' On Here

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

About a week ago we were in the garden centre picking up this 'n that and came across this lovely hibiscus. It was completely in bud then without any open flowers; however, we thought that we could make out that the blooms would be yellow. What we did not guess was that they would have a virus, causing peculiar markings on their petals. We actually find the aberrant markings charming.
    zzz4.jpg

We recently had a VOC weekend here. One of the highlights was the Half Moon replica which sailed around the corner and dropped anchor in the external harbour.
    zzz2.jpg

The ship is interesting to see of course, but what drew the crowds was the firing of the canon on the hour.
    zzz1.jpg

There were adults present, but it was the bairns that really liked the noise.

This year (summer) we are celebrating our city in the "Golden Century" (the 1600's), and the promoters have made this short city promo:

There is always something going on in the city. Soon the friday evening historical walks will begin again. I especially enjoy these.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, what a beautiful and interesting city you live in! The historical Friday night tours must be fascinating, and seeing the sailing ship in the harbor must be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
    Thank you for sharing your city with us:smt041.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are welcome, EILEEN-- The tours are very interesting, if one likes history. They are gratis and that is a good thing.
    As for the historical ships--well, we see then rather frequently, but it is NOT usual that they fire their canons.

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Sjoerd those flowers do look lovely and unusual..i really like those :heart:

Sjoerd such a beautiful place you live and I can imagine the attraction it brings in :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Great hibiscus SJ! What fun. You can do interesting things pairing it with other flowers, foliage ,etc.

I loved that video of your city. Definitely charming! Beautiful buildings, great architectural detail.

Sjoerd and Gail-Steman like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, GAIL-- Such nice words.

Thanks for your reaction, CAYU--Yes, I am considering holding it over, but the Bride is not in favour at the moment. I am thrilled that you liked the city vid. I thought it was well done and representative of our town. This is an old town with a great history which is reflected in the architecture to a degree.