Good garden acid for cleaning slabs

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Gail-Steman, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Every year the garden slabs have some form of acid on them to clean them besides jet washing them off but hubby found another one which was good and removed those small engraved black spots that can set in, he always puts the acid on brushes it in and leaves it for 5-10 minutes to settle in and then starts the Jet washing.

Don't mention the sheds :mad:

1.JPG
    SDC14854.JPG
    5.JPG

2. Loading...

3. ferahunt

ferahunt New Seed

Thank you for sharing a great way to clean tiles on the street! Maybe someone will advise how to rub the floor in the house?

eileen and Gail-Steman like this.
  4. KonnerFry

KonnerFry New Seed

It sounds like your husband has found a great method for cleaning the garden slabs and removing the black spots. It's always essential to ensure the acid is handled with caution and is not allowed to come into contact with any of the sheds or other structures in the garden. Jet washing is an effective way to finish the job and can help make the slabs look new again. Alternatively, If you're looking for a professional to take care of your garden slab cleaning needs, you should look into a company that provides residential pressure washing across America. They will be able to take care of your needs quickly and effectively. Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oh this is the only home and garden task I just hate. The power washer after a few hours leaves me still buzzing all night from holding the nozzle after a day of power washing. I ended up with hand injury causing my fingers to curl up in a fist after years of vibration from power washing. Fences, tiles, roof, driveway, barn and roof , sheds, and green house and walkways all adds up. Takes 4 days 6-8 hours. Now I hire someone to do it.. that’s a whole other aggravating situation…yeap.. Murphy’s Law comes into play here again… Next spring will do the tile roof and the whole works. Very spendy but worth protecting my fingers and hands.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

Is this acid suitable for cleaning all types of slabs?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I use "Wet and Forget" on the concrete slaps on our second patio. But our main patio is crazy York stone, which has been down for 37 years. This is naturally slightly porous so the only thing that will get it reasonably.clean, is to jet-wash it which I will do in a few weeks, then it'll require re-pointing in places.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  8. JayBaker

JayBaker New Seed

For slabs to be thoroughly clean, a high-quality cleaning service is essential. This is especially true when it comes to post-tenancy cleaning, where the property needs to be returned to a pristine condition. Choosing a professional and experienced cleaning company can ensure that the slabs are cleaned to the highest standard using the appropriate techniques and cleaning products. Moreover, if the cleaning was done efficiently, the result will last much longer.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Hello @JayBaker Do you just happen to have a high-quality cleaning service then? Welcome to the forum. If you fill in your profile, we'll all be able to see where on the planet you are situated.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Here in the PNW rain ,winter snow overcast skies turns everything green from concrete driveways to roofs. . For the last few years I used a really great company , jet clean. They come with a huge truck hoses and power jets and water tanks hooked up with pro cleaning solution. Nothing causes harm to the gardens . They clean all hard scapes, fences ,landscaping blocks , outside of house and windows, roof and gutters. And the outside of the greenhouse, sheds and the barn from top to bottom. Everything looks pristine in a couple of days. They clean everything but the kitchen sink. Most all pressure washing services that are bonded and insured charge .20 cents per sq.ft.

FYI…After Pressure washing for several years myself holding the handle the vibration from the machine has taken a toll on my hands causing injury . It’s called Dupuytren’s Contracture syndrome.The vibration caused nodes to form on all the finger cords in the palm area . Over time the nodes grow larger pulling on the finger cords as a result in time all the fingers are closed tight. Usually in a fist and the fingers are frozen closed no way to open any fingers without intervention.
    Also causes trigger fingers and wrist injury carpet tunnel.

11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I looked up the best degreaser and google promptly informed me that the product has a high pH of 11 or so. That got me thinking baking soda might be better than I thought at 8.x or so. Sure enough it does wonders on pots and pans, so I will pretreat the driveway spots with baking soda before I pressure wash it this spring.

Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. ghostvoshe

ghostvoshe New Seed

The technique your hubby uses with the acid and jet washing sounds interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    Just wanted to jump in and share my experience with cleaning garden slabs. I used to struggle with those stubborn black spots too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

An elderly neighbour of mine used a mild solution of bleach on his paving slabs, once a week. They were always free from any discolouration.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.