Goodbye Summer!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Sep 22, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Today being the last day of Summer, at least according to the astronomical seasons, is reason to celebrate for me. Not that it means the end of hot temps and no rain but the mornings at least are a little cooler than they have been since April. So tonight at 9:29 PM I will be doing a Snoopy Dance to celebrate.

Ever wonder how the date and time of the Equinox is set? The equinox happens the moment the Sun crosses the celestial equator, thats the imaginary line in the sky above the Earth’s equator from north to south from summer to fall and south to north for winter into spring. Thats why the dates of the Equinox varies from year to year, either on September 22-24 and March 20-24.

At the link below you can find out the exact time Autumn begins for where you live.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Our Autumn/Fall begins tomorrow also Toni. I'd actually forgotten, thanks for the reminder :stew1: We're having an unusually good September. I can't remember one as good. Summer this year has definitely gone out with a bang!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This has been an exceptionally good summer for us here in this part of Scotland. The nights may be drawing in but the weather is still warm enough to wear T.shirts outdoors. Long may it last.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

We've had a pretty decent summer, rain wise. And I don't temps officially got over 100F. Now that Fall's almost here, we can expect the temps to be a little cooler... for a while anyhow.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We had 16 days above 100 degrees. June, July and August rainfall total for my yard was 3 inches, no rain in Sept and none forecast for us for at least the next 2 weeks.

Anyone wonder why I hate Summer?