Granite, granite everywhere...

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by CritterPainter, Aug 23, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

So maybe I watch too many decorating show, but, what on earth is the current obsession with granite countertops in kitchens? I mean, if it's such a wonderful surface, why hasn't it been the standard all along? Just seems odd that every kitchen redo I see uses granite. DH's batchelor pad had them 20-odd years ago, and it was a joke how dark they were...

2. Loading...

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I haven't a clue - and I've wondered the same thing. I would never want granite for my countertops, it would make it so dark and the ones I've seen end up showing a lot of wear after a bit. I can't imagine how heavy they must be to install!

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I prefer metal. I can scrub it properly, and see how it shines.

Might have something to do with the world-wide crisis of metal shortage.

5. CritterPainter

I've never seen metal, but what a sensible surface! We mostly have formica over particleboard 'round here.
    Yep, I'd wondered about the weight thing too!

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Granite is expensive so when doing a remodel a lot of designers and homeowners are more interested in making the end result rich looking.

My counter tops are original to the house build in the late 1960's so they are probably formica or a cheap knockoff. Either way, I am thinking of painting them and sealing them with spar varnish to make them waterproof.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If I could choose, and could afford, the countertops I actually want then they would be marble. So easy for rolling our pastry and sweets on and they wipe clean in no time at all. :-D

8. CritterPainter

If I had the counter space, I'd like to hit the hardware store and buy one big marble tile for the same reason!

9. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

You know how trends go. I think it will probably last forever too. I just feel sorry for the homeowners if it ever goes out of style lol.

I only have one small counter in my kitchen, covered in peel and stick, marble looking floor tiles right now but I am going to make a concrete coutertop for it. Wish me luck lol. I would love to have more space and a real counter top, be it granite, marble or whatever.

10. LouiseK

LouiseK New Seed

I have granite kitchen surfaces, they came as standard when buying my appartment.

I think they aren't "the standard" just because of cost involved. You can get them in a range of colours and they will last forever. If you chooe a sensible colour it will always be fashionable.

I've chopped directly onto it and put metal right out of the oven on it and it isn't an issue, it still scrubs up as new.

Thats the only problem with it really, it needs to be dry polished after washing otherwise it shows watermarks...

11. Staged Makeovers

Staged Makeovers New Seed

Granite

Granite is what we recommend to all of our clients who are updating their kitchens. It costs about the same amount as corian or other solid surfaces but has a higher perceived value and is timeless (more bang for your buck). Laminate is the least expensive options and doesn't have the natural beauty of granite.

12. KHR

KHR New Seed

Granite is beautiful, but once you have it you're stuck with that color FOREVER!

13. rushme

rushme New Seed

Granite is not new for the counter tops, ya here in US it is new, but countries which found this stone in nature, use the material for counter top for centuries for many good qualities of it. i would love to tell you something about this product as i have install in many of my projects.
    once install u don't have to worry about for ages.
    its water proof, it comes in many color so you don't have to worry about the dark color as only option.
    you don't need regular maintenance. you can put hot pots or any thing directly on the surface it won't affect the surface of it. In countries like India its is also use for flooring, back splash and sometime for wall paneling.yes one more good character of this material is, it resist any kind on stain ( oil etc.)and easy to clean.
    And i will suggest to avoid the marble as material for the counter tops as it is a porous stone and it absorbers oils and other things, so can get stain easily, it requires frequent cleaning because of that. and this stone become very cold in winters and special y not recommended for countries with cold weather

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi everybody
    I tend to agree with Rushme. Granite is indeed available in many different colors and it is up to you to choose the appropriate color.
    Marble, because it is in essence calcium carbonate, reacts with many food sucstances. Especially acidic food stuffs like vinegar, lemons, citrus, soda pop, etc. Thus I will also choose granite.
    All natural stone products are expensive, but very durable and I am currently saving up so I can "update" my kitchen in the latter part of next year.