Green Fig preserve

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Palm Tree, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi Mart, the ripe figs does not require many steps or ingredients because there is no need to soak them overnight in a lime solution.
    But the sugar, ginger and lemon juice works for me with ripe figs too.
    THe big difference is that I boil it on slow heat, unlike the green figs that gets boiled rapidly. I will try to make ripe figs also into a preserve and show you sometime in future. THat is if the birds will allow me to have some. THey provide serious competition. :D

Hi Daisybeans - Indeed they do turn brown. - the skin turns brown and the flower part turns a reddish hue and then they are irresistable to the birds.

2. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Then maybe we have the same type of fig... Do you think? I didn't know you could make preserves out of the green figs. I wait until they are ripe and then have to sneak out before the birds get them. Or the bees. I share.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    A few honey bees among the yellow jackets, and a honey bee approaching. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

Droopy likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have jars and jars of ripe figs in my pantry. I eat them with a little whipped cream on top. I was mainly wondering how the flavor differs from the ripe ones in case I want a variation in mine.

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I do think we have the same type of tree.
    My figs also look like that when they are ripe.
    That is a great picture of the bees also partaking in the fruits.
    Mart - They do indeed taste different
    To me the ripe fig preserve taste more like a jam. (Maybe it is a bit too sweet for me)
    The green fig preserve works better for me since I can control the amount of sugar that I add to the syrup. With the ripe figs, mother nature does most of the sweetening.

Advertisement