Green really tall stalks with huge heart shaped leaves

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Karinlee67, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Karinlee67

Karinlee67 New Seed

Ive been cutting it back for three years and It keeps sprouting new stalks. The picture was taken after cutting it off so its droopy. I grows really fast with many stalks smooth green really tall stalks with huge heart shaped leaves. Never flowers. The trunk gets wider every year. Does anyone know what it is and how to be rid of it? Thank you for considering this problem. I keep trying to insert a picture of it but I dont see it when I view my post.......

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Karinlee67's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. oubee

oubee In Flower

Hi Karine, welcome to Gardenstew :stew2: I don't know the name of this plant but am sure others will help you with the ID. Do edit the thread to add a more precise title; will definitely catch the attention of someone who recognises this lovely plant. Cheers!

Frank likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Karinlee--I am sure womeone will be able to id your plant. The thing about inserting photos is that after you think you are all done, you still have to click on the image to actually get it inserted. You will be prompted to do this, but it is still easy to miss.
    The leaves of your plant look vaguely sunflowerish, but It can't be because a sunflower wouldn't grow up from a root stock after being cut down....Do you know if it is a tree, bush, deciduous?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think you have a catalpa tree there. They smell awful (the crushed foliage) and are very hard to kill off. Cut the stem/trunk off and spray the open wound with a weed killer or try vinegar as an herbicide but be careful to not spray any on any desired plants. Any overspray from either choice will kill off your keeper plants.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

If not Catalpa, Paulownia.

7. Karinlee67

Karinlee67 New Seed

I forgot to mention it grows with a multitude of stalks. I think I cut off at least 10 or more this day.I had cut it back previously about 2 months ago.It grew back really fast the stalks from Sunday were about 6 feet tall at least. I have seen one other plant identical to mine across the street and it also has many many tall stalks too. Thank you <3

I googled catalpa and Paulownia they are trees. This plant from the start has always had multiple stalks. The larger stalks were about 1 to 1 & 1/2 inches in diameter and I could relatively easily by hand bend them up to dispose of them in a garbage bag. It wasnt really dense as an actual tree like say a mulberry which I also am having issues killing off. Also it has never flowered. <3

Tomorrow I shall post a picture from across the street that is untouched by humans. It is a beautiful plant but I dont want it in my yard as it is invasive by my standards.

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Karenlee, any tree that is cut down can and most likely will produce a multitude of new sprouts from the roots or whatever is left of the stem below the cut. We cut down a huge poplar this spring and it didn't do anything all summer and this week I see a MULTITUDE of new sprouts coming from the stump and popping up in the yard since we haven't mowed it all summer. Does the "plant" across the road from you have big LONG "beans" on it, ever? if so, it is the catalpa tree. But they do take 6-8 years of growth before they produce blooms and seeds. They are a "trash" tree, as they have no real value, nothing for wildlife or as a useful lumber, either.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I would never call any native tree a trash tree although there are reasons why Catalpa is not as desirable as others to some people for their yard.

They are stunningly beautiful. This tree is the only host plant for the Catalpa sphinx moth. As such, it's common around here to see annually coppiced trees to harvest the caterpillars they host for fishing bait. As with any deciduous tree, the fallen leaves are an excellent bounty for one's compost pile.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/bulletins ... sphinx.htm

10. Chief Supreme Being

Chief Supreme Being New Seed

I’m trying to upload a picture to see if it’s the same plant

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you can not upload a photo, do a google search for Catalpa tree and compare the photos.