Groundcovers

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Cayuga Morning, May 24, 2013.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Iris Cristata, 3-4 inches tall ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

That's all I have time for just now. More later....

[​IMG]
    Phlox subulata, 3 in. tall ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Phlox subulata on left, iris cristata on rt. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Armeria, 3 in. not in bloom yet ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Sedum, 2 inches, not yet in bloom ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

More groundcovers to come....

Frank, stratsmom and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

[​IMG]
    European ginger 3 in tall, shade ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    myrtle, periwinkle 6 in. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The dreaded pachysandra, 8 in. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Woodruff, a rampant spreader, 6 in ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The bane of every gardener, a hodgepodge ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Another hodgepodge ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Cayuga... in the first photo of posting #2 titled "European ginger 3 in tall, shade". Are you referring to the plant that looks like dollar weeds?

4. Cayuga Morning

Hi Cheryl,
    I don't know. I think common names can really vary from region to region. The latin name for what I have is Asarum europaeum. Up here in the North, we have Lunaria annua that we call 'Silver Dollar' plant. It has majenta flowers in the spring that eventually turn into silver dollar like seed pods by ??mid summer ?late summer. Do you have that?

The plant that I call European Ginger is a great plant, very easy to grow. It has glossy dark green leaves & it seeds itself around the garden, but really is not invasive. I'd be happy to send you some if you don't have it.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The stuff that grows here that looks like doesn't flower... well, not that I know of anyhow.
    Probably not the same thing.
    It's all in the grass and I constantly have to pull it out of the flower beds.
    I'll have to pass on the offer of seeds... I'm afraid I'd pull them up just out of habit. :-D

6. Cayuga Morning

Cheryl--Yet again, a prized plant in one locale seems to be an invasive in another!

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Cheryl, you are safe from wild ginger (Asarum europaeum) I don't think it would grow to well in Texas, since it likes cool, moist, woodland habitats. (Your dollar weed seems to be the same bother my buttercups are) I could be wrong but I think your summers are too extreme for wild ginger (my buttercups that I would gladly mail to you :D)

CM, I love my Asarum caudatum, which is very similar to the European variety. Yours certainly looks healthy. Although I've grown it for several years this was the first year I noticed its ginger fragrance. Really nice. Guess the native Americans and Europeans usd it for cooking.

CM, I noticed your phlox. It seems similar to a new to a variety I'm trying this spring, Phlox divaricata. I was wondering if you could tell me if you do anything to it after it blooms, etc. right now it is beginning to look kind of 'shaggy'. I've tried other low growing phlox before and lost them. Maybe I'll have better luck this year.:-?

I love you hodge podges ;)

8. Cayuga Morning

Thanks for the clarification Jewell. & you are right my ginger prefers cool & moist areas. Mine smells like ginger too. I did not know it was edible.

The phlox in the photo is phlox subulata. It is a little leggy because I do not have in it full sun. Maybe that is why it looks like divaricata to you? I have never grown divaricata, but it sure does look pretty (I just googled it).

I have another of the woodland phloxes, phlox stolonifera. It is actually in one of my hodge podges! Some time I will rescue it & put it in its own bed. Let me know how your divaricata does.