Grow your own grass patch

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Under the Arbor, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Under the Arbor

Under the Arbor New Seed

GRASS PATCH INSTRUCTIONS

Soak 1/4 cup of wheat berry seeds in a glass jar for 12 hrs. This is the same kind of grass seed you see growing in health food stores; they blend it up and you can purchase it by the shot glassful. It is supposed to be very good for you but I've never had the nerve to try it!

Put all but ½ cup of dirt in an 8" clay pot (or other potting container) to within one inch of top. Space seeds evenly on top and tamp down lightly. Sprinkle ½ cup of soil on top of seeds. Keep moist until sprouted (about 4 days), then put in full sun and water twice a week. After it is well sprouted, it isn't necessary to keep in full sun. It will last 3-4 weeks, depending on how much light it is given. I have had reports of some people needing to give their "grass patch" a haircut because it grew too long and flopped over, but I've never had to do this. This recipe can be adapted for any size container.

I've planted outside in window boxes and pots in March and the grass holds up to the occasional freezing blast. By the time it starts to look not-so-nice, it is time to plant pansies or primroses. Plant in a long, narrow trough for your dining room table for a designerly touch. The bright green grass is very cheery and the project is a nice warm-up for the "real" gardening season.

2. Loading...

3. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

Hi Barbara , no shortage of pots or compost here :D my family have been gardening here in Dublin professionally since at least 1874 8) Im 4th generation and my son is displaying an unhealthy intrest :D . I will visit a heath shop to see if I can get the wheat berry and will let you know how I get on 8) Bugs

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We did a story hour project at the library once. We raised grass seed in little milk cartons filled with soil. The kids rushed every day to see if it had come up and how much it had grown. Dooley