Growing Figs

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Daniel W, May 31, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

As an aside on figs, here is a tree in a convent in the community of Roscoff, in Brittany, France, that was planted in 1610. I think the photo was taken about 1908 (not by me although I sometimes say I was around to warn Cleopatra that Marc Anthony was up to no good LOL).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tree was supported over centuries of growth, by granite columns and an arbor. They stated that 500 people could be sheltered under its branches.

The tree was removed in the 1980s. I don't know what variety. Figs grow easily from cuttings and there are centuries old varieties, so who knows?

Odif, Melody Mc., Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is remarkable.
    Thanks for this posting with pics and info. i found it interesting.

Daniel W and Logan like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today I wrapped sections of fig tree trunks with strips of plastic, followed by an application of Tanglefoot. That keeps the ants out of the figs, which can spoil them.
    [​IMG]

I also started hanging strips of holographic startle tape, to deter birds.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Picked some more fruit, potted on 5 rose cuttings that I had rooted and put a blueberry plant into its final pot.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That tree is amazing! I thought those were trunks of many trees until you explained it. Just incredibile.

I can't imagine opening a fig and finding yellow jackets instead. yikes.

That fig tree sure came back strong. The house looks great!! Lovely job!

Daniel W and Logan like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here is a Hardy Chicago fig tree start, one year after I pruned it from my bigger tree. It was a branch emerging at ground level, with minimal roots.

D3147948-7DFE-447C-9469-D3BB02856AC4.jpeg

Here it was, late November, last year.
    [​IMG]

The roots were minimal. I wondered if it would grow. But it did great. There might be some figs from this one, next year. I hope so. Hardy Chicago is one of my best varieties.

[​IMG]

Then again, I took a dormant hardwood cutting at the same time, and just stuck it into the ground in the tomato bed. No special treatment at all. It was about 18 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter.

Here it is now.

E5D08815-B93D-4723-A4FF-467C3724540A.jpeg

That's an OK start. It could really take off and grow next year. It's just amazing to me that I can push a stick into the ground and next year, it a baby tree.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

My fig crop wasn't great this year. The summer crop was good for two varieties. The fall crop has been very sporadic. I take that as a promise that next year, we'll be inundated in figs!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am going to watch this space.

Daniel W likes this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Well done Daniel, it's surprising how twigs grow roots like that.
    I watch Mike Kincaid videos about his figs and other things and propagation. He's planting figs in this video.

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Logan thanks for the video. Wow, he's ambitious! I hope it goes well for him.

I think some of my fig varieties are not the best for this climate. With hotter summers now, that might change, but day length is still an issue. He needs to cut down that giant fir tree - that will be an issue too. Still we are all on a learning curve.

So far, my best figs for maritime, SW WA State are Lattarula, King, and Hardy Chicago. Lattarula is also called White Marseilles. White Sicilian is also good, but too young for the best production. My best flavored, but not very productive, is Petite Negri. I think the trees on the South Side of my house are well situated, but the ones somewhat close to a fir tree and shaded on West by neighbor's Leyland Cypress are in a more challenging spot, but have the benefit of giving some privacy from the neighbor's $%¿&¥§¡ easement road.

These were from August this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most are Lattarula or King, hard to tell apart. The really big ones, browner, are called "Brunswick", really good, sweet, rich flavor but not very productive here. I hope next year to have more black figs. I like the flavor better, more "figgy".

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Daniel W glad that you liked the video,you have a lot of figs there well done.