Growing Flowers for a Wedding

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by adam.ca, Jan 1, 2020.

1. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I need advice, I want to grow my own flowers for my wedding. I have grown a vegetable garden so I have good soil to work with and some experience growing plants, we want a fall wedding. Ideally, I would want flowers that grow quickly so that I can have my veg patch and then plant flowers midseason.
    Is this worthwhile? will it save me money?
    What types of flowers should I grow? ( fall wedding )

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I would guess, annuals would be best for fall bouquets. They need a full season though to have enough for a wedding and be in full production. Zinnias, sweet peas, cosmos, bachelor buttons, asters and snapdragons. Dahlias are a bulb and have a lot of different forms and produce well the first year. My gardening environment is different from yours though, so others here might have better suggestions.

Perennials that are fall blooming are the coneflowers and the rudbeckia family but do best for me the second and third years.

Good luck on your gardening endeavors. Growing flowers for your wedding is a wonderfully personalized endeavor.

Cayuga Morning and adam.ca like this.
  4. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

due to the high cost, we are giving ourselves till fall 2021 to save up for the wedding. I will have 2 seasons to grow the flowers, so I'll try planting some Perennials in a flower bed in the front of the house, and I guess experiment with different annuals in large containers.

Jewell likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congratulations Adam to you and your significant other!!!! Our marriage was one of the best decisions I made and I wish you well in yours.

I agree with Jewel in her list of suggestions and particularly endorse annuals. They are most forgiving in terms of getting the bloom timing correct. Dahlias too are great.

adam.ca likes this.

Advertisement
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

not sure what I'm trying to do is even possible.
    the wedding is set for late oct. and my first frost date is oct. 7th

it seems "fall" means different things to the rest of the world. i guess i need flowers that do well in "winter"

7. Cayuga Morning

Hmmm. Might be a problem Adam. Chrysanthemums last well. At least you have a year to observe flowers in your garden and see what might still be on offer in late October.

adam.ca likes this.
  8. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she had this idea, as the centerpieces, this seems more possible.

ya, I'll try to get flowers that are cold tolerant and see what actually works, and also try growing some small pumpkins.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Wow Adam, please tell your future Bride that I really like those centerpieces. Good taste. And unusual.

adam.ca likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love the centerpiece! You could go totally unconventional and think more moss, branches, grasses, berries, fruit. Anything with interesting structure. I’ve seen some lovely arrangements with fall leaves, apples and branches with berries. You will have time this fall to see if you have any interesting “weeds”. There are several varieties of dried flowers that you could grow both this year and next that are quite lovely and keep well when stored in paper bags in a dry space. Do some searches for “autumn winter arrangements” and see what you come up with.

Cayuga Morning and adam.ca like this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

https://www.ballseed.com/PlantInfo/?phid=043100001024209

Try a selection of white mums both large and small !! There are many varieties and looks to be in full flower
    about the time you will need them !! Love the centerpiece arrangement and the mums would go well with that !! I would hollow out the larger flower shaped gourds and use them to hold the mums !!

adam.ca likes this.
  12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Traditionally, you and your fiancé decide on what the color theme will be for the wedding, and then this is what you use for choices of flowers, the bridesmaids dresses, the bride's bouquet, ties or cummerbunds or shirts and boutonnières for the men. It's usually a combination of two primary colors that compliment each other.

I'd make that choice first, or get your fiancé to, which will narrow the field considerably on what blooms you should be growing.

Also, you should take into account how many attendants you will have in the wedding (bouquets and boutonnières) and how many guests/tables with floral centerpieces, plus if you want floral decorations anywhere else (podium/altar, next to each row of chairs, entry/guest book/cake table etc) which final count will determine how many of what kind of bloom you will need to grow, plus the greenery or ancillary flowers (baby's breath etc.) you'll need as a final count, adding extra for the typical mortality rate both in the growing phase and also in the decorating phase.

adam.ca likes this.
  13. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

https://catalogsearch.ballseed.com/ this is gr8, I can filter for "Autumn Blooming" + "Frost Tolerant" +Hardiness Zon 5b or less.

my gf had fancy names for the colors, but its basically red silver and purple.

I think 8 tables, it unclear how many flowers i can grow and which ones will actually be usable come end of Oct. its gr8 that i have a full season to try various things and see what I can come up with. In the end we might have to buy some flowers,

hmmm dried flowers might go very well with these "fall-themed-centerpieces" i like the idea.

its a real bummer that spring is still months away.

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, I can't think of any blooms that come in silver so maybe that will need to be an accessory to the natural flowers...something like this maybe?
    ARTI_METLIC01_GOLD_D03_compact.jpg

Well, with 8 tables, plus flowers for the bouquets for the bride and attendants, even if you don't use flowers anywhere else, you'll need to grow a bunch, because not all the flowers will mature at the same time. The plants will flower on their own schedule, so unless you choose plants that have prolific blooms you're gonna have to plant a lot to account for fluctuations in bloom time.

I'm glad you have a season to create your strategy.

adam.ca likes this.
  15. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

right I should grow more than I think ill need, my yard should look very colorful! hopefully. maybe ill trim back the bush tree thing in the front like mad, and plant flowers around it.
    I need a super flower, that can grow in a super hot and humid climate and later tolerate the very cold Oct nights, also need to be tolerant of my negligence.lol. we'll see how it goes, should be interesting.