growing succulents from seeds

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by 102christa, Jan 15, 2016.

1. 102christa

102christa Seedling

I got my seeds today and I'm very excited! From what I could gather for succulents is that you should mix potting soil, sand and some form of gravel or perlite. Should I add peat moss? Then they say to soak the soil, sow the seeds on top, cover it with a thin layer and cover the whole thing with glad wrap until it sprouts. Does that sound right?

Also how big should they be before you remove the glad wrap and start reducing water? I don't want to mess it up, they look really beautiful.

• [​IMG] Titanopsis hugo schlechteri - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Orbea Variegata - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Live Forever / Houseleeks - Sempervivum Mixed Species - Exotic Succulent
    • [​IMG] Gymnocactus ysabelae - Turbinicarpus Ysabelae - Exotic Succulent Cactus
    • [​IMG] Faucaria Tuberculosa - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] 1Euphorbia Mammillaris - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Dioscorea Hemicrypta - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Crassula Nudicaulis - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Cheiridopsis Vanzijlii - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Argyroderma Pearsonii - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Anacampseros arachnoides - Indigenous South African Succulent
    • [​IMG] Aloe Polyphylla - African Spiral Aloe - Lesotho Succulent
    • [​IMG] Aloe Ammophila - Indigenous South African Succulent

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chapeau 102 !

That is an impressive array of succulents. You have a good climate for them. Succulents are primarily an indoor plant here in our cool and rainy "kikkerland".

Obviously I do not have a great deal of experience with succulents, but I do germinate seeds under plastic each year--both indoors and out-of-doors. I remove the plastic when the seeds have formed the first two leaves and are pressing against the plastic. Here, it is necessary to remove the plastic as soon as possible to avoid Botryitis.
    In your climate though, Botrytis may not be such a likely possibility...I do not know.

Please let us know how it goes and by all means----send more pics as as your plantlets develop further.

4. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Sjoerd I had 5 times that in my basket before reality kicked in and I had to reduce it! But the proof is the pudding... Or rather the seedlings in this case!

:snicker:

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle.
    It is all really impressive to see though.
    I would have never guessed that there were so many more. You are a strong woman to be able to pare-back your plantlets. hahaha.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

way cool choices.
    I wouldn't soak the potting mix so that it is saturated, but it does need to have an adequate amount of moisture for germination. you shouldn't be able to squeeze water out.
    Do not use potting SOIL. soil has too much mold/bacteria in it to have a successful germination attempt.
    Make sure it is soiless potting MIX.
    Do add the sand and perlite, not vermiculite. Vermiculite holds moisture.
    Put your seeds on a heat mat for sure. As soon as they are germinating uncover them or at least vent them so they don't rot.
    I have only grown the sempervivum from seeds so I can't give you really accurate information for anything else, but I would follow the same principals for germination of the rest.
    Do not set them in a window that gets direct sunshine. You may over heat the seeds and kill them while they are covered.
    Good luck on them all.

Frank likes this.
  7. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Thanks for the advice Carolyn! I've planted them before I read your post, luckily I didn't use the vermiculite but I did mix a bit of potting soil, will see how it goes!

Instead of using gladwrap I cut soda bottles in half and build little greenhouses, it was actually a lot of fun when I got into it, I think I'll use this on other plants again next season! I put them outside in the sun secured by bricks and under a bit of roof, but if it does rain in that direction I've cut the upper half to fit over the bottom half so the water shouldn't get it. I didn't have enough soda bottles so I still have some left to plant, if these guys do sprout everybody is getting succelents for their birthdays this year :D

But I've read some of them takes a very long time before you can actually move them around, so maybe next year....

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Never done these seeds, but wanted to say good luck!!

102christa likes this.
  9. 102christa

102christa Seedling

DSC_0261-240x427[1].JPG IMG-20160124-WA0003-240x427[1].jpg
    Eeeeeee! Euphorbia Mammillaris!! :smt026

carolyn likes this.