Gulf Frittaries

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by Naples100, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Naples100

Naples100 New Seed

I live in Florida and raise Gulf Frittaries. This year I am having a problem with the entire chrysalis disappearing before a butterfly emerges. I think that a blue jay is eating them. Has anyone had this problem? I thought that the caterpillars were poisonous from eating the passionflower vine.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi welcome to the Stew from north Texas.

From what I have read, there are other predators besides birds that will eat a chrysalis, I have found no info on what those other predators are but possibly the toxin in the caterpillar doesn't bother them.

Most caterpillars go to great lengths to make sure their chrysalis is well hidden from predators. That's why they are normally so difficult for us to find in the garden.
    Maybe there was something genetically wrong with the caterpillar therefore the wrong spot was chosen and it is just nature taking it's course.

If the number of failing chrysalis is abnormally high, maybe there is a chance that they aren't being eaten but failing because of chemical sprays. Do any of your neighbors spray their yards with chemicals for pest control? Over spray of chemicals, especially on a breezy day, has been known to cause damage to plants and insects in neighboring yards.

4. Naples100

Naples100 New Seed

The chrysalis are well hidden in the leaves. It take me quite a while to find them. Not only are the complete chrysalis disappearing, but now I noticed that caterpillars, in the J position, that are preparing to pupate are disappearing. I haven't found one chrysalis on the ground. It is very frustrating.

5. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

I've noticed that when I leave my gulf fritillaries on the plant, they never seem to exceed a certain size...I'm sure something is eating them as well. I think the smaller ones get eaten by lizards of which there are plenty (I know there are loads of lizards in Naples too!). If you really want to see what's going on I'd suggest raising the caterpillars inside in a terrarium, or "bug cage". They are very easy to raise, a leaf or two a day and you get the pleasure of watching the whole cycle. After the butterfly emerges you can take it outside and release it.

Advertisement
  6. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Here I use a "paint straining" bag and put it right over the plant when the caterpillar is large. I close it around the plant with clothespins. I put a stick in it for the cocoon. Then I bring the cocoon indoors to hatch. Yes, this is the LAZY WAY.

7. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

Bethie, now that is a very good idea!