Happiness is When the Chilli turn RED!!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Sep 7, 2021.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I am very bad at growing chilli, normally it will suffer from leaf curls, blossom end rot and what ever possible to disallow me from getting the chilli to full maturity.

This is a really wonderful pleasing sight!
    [​IMG]

I planted 5 plants totally and this is the sole survival. So far this is my first success in this new place having stayed here for more than 8 years. In the old place I had about 2 success so in total in 15 year I had only 3 success for regular chilli.

I have got a few red chilli already since this photo was taken.

HAPPINESS!!! :stew1::D:stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I’m with you mate...that is happiness.
    Your peppers look so long and thin. What kind are they?

Also, I notice that your peppers are in a container. I do not have any experience with growing peppers in a container. It makes me wonder if this method of growing has had anything to do with the failures that you were talking about over the past fifteen years. I have to say that your posting has me more interested in the ‘why’ of your failures than the glowing success you are achieving this year.
    Have you done anything differently? What do you think is the reason that you are experiencing this happy moment?

At any rate mate, congratulations.

p.s. what do you do with your peppers—eat them fresh or make a powder or a paste for use later?

Growingpains likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Congrats KK ! I want to know how you use them too !

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sjoerd, they are just regular peppers and I wish they are a bit fatter :) In this part of the world when the chilli are long and thin, it is believed that they are going to be spicy or hot. When I was young I was scared of eating this kind of pepper, now I know if they are hot they are hot regardless of the shape :D
    I have planted them in big, medium, small containers, in the ground, direct sunlight, indirect sunlight and in the shade ... no none of them work. I plant them in containers is to be able to control the amount of water and sunshine they get.
    This success I think is the location where I placed the pot, it is right in front of a window and it is slightly depressed area between a narrow wall and the porch which I think it is the coolest part of the house outside. It gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and when it rain it don't really get wet. The only set back is that we cannot open the window, we can only open it a little :)

We make a sauce for dip and a paste for curry and chillis. We use the dip quite often and have curry or chilli at least twice a week.

Thanks Mart :)

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké KK, I see how you grow them and eat them. You have some challenging conditions there. I hope that you have found the best place for them now.
    When you called your peppers “regular”, would that men something like a jalapeño or a cayenne?

When we were looking for a new pepper this year we noticed that there were an enormous amount of peppers to choose from these days. I was surprised. We finally wound up with a pepper called “Ring of Fire”. I hope that it will be a hot one as the name implies.

I am always looking out for new peppers to try. Please let me hear how your peppers turn out.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Growingpains likes this.
  7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

This is the best place for chilli. Not able to open the window full is a very small inconvenience :)
    [​IMG]

It is definately no jalapeno and I think it is cayenne, this is the seeds I used.
    [​IMG]

Up till today I think we have already harvested about 8 pieces and soon Becky can start on the sauce :)

For very hot chili I planted bird eye chili and we have a plant fruiting all year round. I do not eat it because they are too hot for my liking, they numb and burn my taste buds. I prefer a milder flavour so I can enjoy all the taste of the other things in the dish. Bird eye chili is very easy to plant and almost every home on my street have at least a plant.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, Bird's Ely is a native plant here. They pop up everywhere since the mockingbirds (a bird notorious for having no taste buds) love them and distribute them.
    We had a plant appear in our vegetable garden, and when I was about to pull it up a neighbor wanted it. We potted it up and he was so happy to have something to burn his tongue!
    I'm with you--milder peppers so I can taste the rest of the dish. Jalapenos are about as hot as I want, and I don't want them often!:smt084

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I love cayenne peppers ! Medium heat and easy to grow ! I keep them in my freezer year round ! Just freeze whole and remove as many as you need for a meal ! If you pick them smaller and green they are very mild ! I do not let mine grow to red stage !

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Marlingardener, here this chili is spread by this bird the Yellow-vented bulbul
    It is a very common bird here and can be found almost everywhere and I do get new plants popping here and there in my garden and the plant that I am having now is from the the birds :D

Thanks Mart, it is always a challenge for me to get them red. When I can't get them to red I'll harvest all of them green and make Thai green curry :) They are usually disfigured and the leaves are wrinkly. I'll dispose of the plant after that and try again for red chilli.

11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Indeed it is @KK Ng even just orange too!

525C919C-F2BB-4BE0-85E9-F8FD38CBD18A.jpeg

Growingpains, KK Ng and Sjoerd like this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh my ! Some of those will set your woods on fire !

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chortle....Mart you have a way with words.

Growingpains likes this.
  14. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Habanero and cayenne. They are only just starting to ripen. It looks like a bumper crop this year. Fire is the right word.

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.