Happy Ending :0)

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Sep 18, 2007.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

The last 2 weekends have been spent digging out wild orange daylilies from behind our garage. Right after the garage was built I planted them along with Shasta Daisies. They put on a beautiful show. In 3 or 4 years they got so thick they choked out the daisies so I decided to dig them all out, clean the bed and plant some of my new daylilies that I bought this summer. There were so many plants!!! I put an ad in the www.wantads.org , a free web site and offered the plants "free to a good home" I had 3 takers! I am so happy because I didn't want to have to throw them away! Now other people can enjoy them and I feel much better knowing that they aren't decomposing in the compost pile :-D
    Deanna
    :-D

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

That is indeed a happy ending! I also dislike throwing perfectly sound plants away, and end up supplying friends, neighbors (only the kind ones) and colleges with hardy, easy-to-trow things for their garden.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good going Deanna. Passing plants on to someone thru one of those lists is so satisfying isn't it?

I have offered several plants on the recycle list, three of the shrub roses, some Okra seedlings that I had left over a couple of springs ago and over 100 of the dwarf hollyhock seedlings that spring also and the year before that I gave away almost 5 dozen Canna's I had cleared out in the fall.
    I was the recipient of a dozen of the Tropicana Canna's a few months ago from a lady on that list and they are doing great....won't bloom this season but they will be beautiful next year.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I wish I lived near you .I would have taken some off yours handas

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Such a satisfying thing to do - sharing plants with others isn't it? I give mine away to select people (those who I know will look after my babies)after offering them to family. It's nice when the new carers show you piccies of them thriving in their gardens. :-D

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It is satisfying! Today I've met 2 of the 3 and they were very nice people! I'll meet the 3rd person tomorrow night when I deliver her plants to her. Both of them were so excited to get so many plants for free! I told them that these would grow like gangbusters. They were thrilled :-D I told them that when I thin the plants in the flowerbeds at my office I'd let them know so they could have more if they wanted. One guy volunteered his wife to help me clean the beds! He said, she only works 1/2 days so she can come help you.
    Nice kids
    Deanna

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

How nice. You are so sweet.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have an area that I have to dig the orange daylily's out of this weekend. Maybe I'll put them in freecycle as I'd hate to compost them!

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Netty, like I said I had 3 takers and they loved them!!! I had another interested email this morning but I'm out of flowers :( I will offer her some of the plants I have here at work. They aren't really mine since they were here before I was but I "adopted" the flower beds about 7 years ago and they do need to be thinned. It's just a little harder to do because at home I can leave my mess if I have to and here I have to get it all cleaned up so someone doesn't trip or fall over plants, weeds and dirt! I bet you will make some people very happy if you donate your plants. Besides that I felt good knowing they weren't going to die out in the pasture.
    Deanna