Hardening off.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Clay_22, May 14, 2023.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

For years I always did the age old method of the gradual exposure of hardening off my veggies and fruits. I saw a vid using a newer method of finding two partly cloudy days and leave them out for two days and doesn't necessarily mean consecutive days. So far I done the peppers and tomatoes. Planted the tomatoes Friday and as of Saturday night they are not showing any ill effects. Wondering if any of you Stewbies tried this already or have your own method of hardening off.

2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

If you plant in the cooler weather it helps. That fairytale time between soil just getting warm enough and real heat. But that may only work here.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I put mine in my small greenhouse and keep the sliding doors open and close them at night. After a week i leave the doors open all the time, then plant them out after a week also. Here we shouldn't get any more frost so i can start to plant things out.

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

When I begin hardening - off my plantlets, I let the weather dictate precisely how I will do it. I begin early-ish so during the daytime they go out on the balcony if it is not too windy or cold. I bring them in overnight. Later on as the daytime and nighttime temps rise, I leave them out day and night generally for two weeks (never less).

A further variation is that After the balcony procedure, I further let them harden off in the greenhouse with the door open.

The bottom line is that I do not rigidly follow any rules…I sort of go by feel, based upon experience.

6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Go with the flow.:chuckle:

Pacnorwest, Clay_22 and Sjoerd like this.