Harvest Time Is Upon Us

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Harvest time has begun here now; in fact, it is well underway.

[​IMG]

Garlic's were one of the first things that I harvested in the lottie this season. A few of the garlic's that I have harvested had some peculiar formations in the stalks just above clove ball. I know if this anomaly, but have never had it myself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do any of you folks know about this and why it occurs? I have saved the bulbils for eating, as they are too small to plant. They also got in the way when it was time to plait the dried foliage.
    [​IMG]

Onions are also something that came a little later:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, these strings were ready to add to the "Harvest Basket" for the years' end exhibition.
    I had the blueberries enclosed with curtain sheers and mesh

[​IMG]'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blueberries did well this season; I harvested five kilo's and 200 grams. They went into 20 pots of jam and then another bunch is still in the freezer waiting for me to think up a use for them.
    The jam turned out well and smeared perfectly.
    [​IMG]

The courgettes, snack cucumbers, tomatos, runner and French beans as well as the Swiss chard have produced well and are still yielding.

A bonus to the gardening was what my bees produced. The weak hive and the strongest hive yielded about 55 pots of honey (25 kilo's). The one new swarm I did not take any honey from at all.
    I left so much honey with the colonies that did produce, that I will not have to supplement the colonies this winter.
    [​IMG]

It has been a very busy season here with all the work and the visitors that came throughout. Our season here is long from over; however, it is clearly winding down. The successive green manure plantings are beginning to come up, and some of the prepared plots are already covered with protective debris.

Henry Johnson, Droopy, Jewell and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I am......speechless!

Well, that's not true, I'm always a motormouth! :D But seriously, I am in awe of this kind of gardening. It's truly amazing what you've accomplished!

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I am speechless also. Love to see what others have done. It gives me ideas.

I have tried to braid the garlic and onions and it never looked like yours. Next time I grow them I will try again.

Do you make the Jam? What is a pot of jam?

Please post more? I love it.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sounds like you had a very successful year. That jam looks so yummy!

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

A great year in the lottie then! Your jam looks awesome :)

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee hee hee...speechless, RONNI-- Nay, I don't believe a word of it. You impress me as being a very talkative and fun person. thank you for your kind comments.

Hello WARE--Glad that you liked the posting. I wonder why you had probs braiding the leaves. Yes, I make jam out of my blues as well as plums and strawbs. A "pot" is just another word for jar. We call them "pots" here. I will post more. I have posted so much on here that it is difficult not to repeat myself.

Thanks CHERYL--That jam IS yummy! :p
    It was a successful year, as the freezer and pantry are full.

Thank you NETTY--It was a successful year.I wish that you could taste the jam. having a blue tongue would impress your friends that you have over for brekkie. chortle :D

SuburbanHomestead likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, What variety of b.berry is that? I haven't seen any ripen quite like that here.
    The frame of honey is beautiful. Your girls did a nice job on it.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Your harvest is always so beautiful and I always look forward to seeing it.

10. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Impressive or what!! :D

Mmmm,blueberry jam...mouth-watering and I've only just had breakfast :D They're another thing on my "would love to have" list but we don't have room for 2 :( We'll put up with the black and red currants we have shares in with our friends...(that makes a good jam too)

How many hours a week do you put into your Allotment/Garden Sjoerd?

11. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

What a lovely harvest you have there! Thank you for sharing your pictures with us, you have obviously had a successful year. Everything looks great, especially that jam!

12. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I sure wish you lived next door so I could sample that jam. Season is winding down here also. I spent hours in the garden and kitchen. I love the end results.

13. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

As harvest time approaches for gardeners, I'm sure it's a bitter sweet time.
    There is something very rustic in those braids of garlic and onions. And oh, those berries....I can only imagine. Enjoy your bounty.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there, CAROLYN--I believe that the blueberry featured (the branch) is one of the Vaccinium myrtillus sorts. I would have to look in my little black book. The macro of the big berries: I believe that that is a 'Goldtraub' or possibly, 'Patriot'. I have several different ones in the patch.
    I shall pass on your compliment along to the girls.

Thanks so much, KK.

Thanks KM--too bad you don't have the room, but as you said--you have the currents and they do indeed make nice jam...and sap!

Thanks SGM--It was a very good year. That jam is delicious.

DONNA--It would be great if you lived here nearby. You could sample that jam along with some tea (or coffee).

4-G--Thank you for your nice words. It is indeed bitter-sweet now that the season is winding down. The berries help to soften the little bit of sadness associated with seasons' end. ;)

15. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

Congratulations, you have a good harvest. For gardeners, the happiest thing is harvest.

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

OK ! I haven`t had breakfast yet,,think I will just hop a plane and go visit Sjoerd!