Have not seen snow like this in years!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Mar 3, 2018.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We had next to no snow yesterday and now have 10 inches in the last 10 hours and it is not suppose to ease off for at least another day! Getting worried about the weight on the roofs of the outbuildings. They all have metal roofs but the snow isn't budging.
    snow 003 (Medium).JPG

snow 006 (Medium).JPG

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

We're having record levels of snow also 2ofus but not to the crazy extent you are having it. Stay safe and warm!

2ofus likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My goodness! Eileen says she has 18" of snow in her garden, Ireland has record-breaking cold and snow, England has snow and cold--our east coast is flooded and has high winds. March has certainly come in like a lion, perhaps a whole pride of lions.
    In the interest of self-preservation, I will not tell you about our central Texas weather today. Folks who have spent the day shoveling snow and trying to keep warm get testy after a while.

Cayuga Morning and Ronni like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually Jane there are compensations to having so much snow. I have seen birds in the garden that I've never seen before. Today we had Mistle thrushes (4) and a Fieldfare!!
    I put out food for them every few hours and thoroughly enjoy them coming down to feed. Even although we have no milk or bread in the shops I can still find something to smile about. :) I'm looking forward to seeing what others may appear before the snow goes.

Cayuga Morning and 2ofus like this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't think I've seen it snow so much in such a short time and it is still coming down. Mike measured the snow and it's 17 inches deep and still coming down. Eileen, I'm glad your are enjoying the birds. It sounds like you are much worse off than we are. This just started this morning so, food wise, we are fine. I hope your stores are able to re-stock soon. I hope everyone stays safe and warm.
    PS, Jane, I just talked to my sister in San Angelo and she was getting her garden ready for tomatoes!

marlingardener likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow 2ofus, that is crazy!
    Here in Southern Ontario we have no snow. We had heavy rains mid February and mild temperatures since then.
    The other day, parts of Ontario hit 17°C - that is unheard of for February, and March has started the same way. But I really don't think winter is done with us yet!

2ofus likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Up until now we've had a mild winter with very little snow. I was praying for more snow as we get very little moisture during the summer. Maybe I shouldn't have asked so many times! It's still snowing with severe weather warnings, but is suppose to clear up in the next 3 or 4 days. We have about 20 inches now...I'm not going out to measure it! Mike has been busy trying to keep the older neighbors' driveways cleared. Everyone with snowplows or snow blowers have been helping others. I love this town.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's started snowing again here today. My eldest son, Duncan, had to walk from the Centre of Edinburgh (from his workplace) to Livingston as there were no trains or buses running. How he managed to walk 20 miles in this weather I really don't know. He has now been told not to even try to get into work until it clears quite considerably.

10. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Looks like it will be a while before you do any planting. I saw that a lot of soccer games in the UK were off. Off down to the lagoon now to see some birds its a great day here.

2ofus likes this.
  11. kate

kate In Flower

Its been aweful here, Scotland and Ireland were literally snowed in. M80 motorway nothing was moving, all lorries and cars could go nowhere. The lorries which normally brought things to the supermarket shelves things like bread etc remained in lorries stuck.

On Skynews I saw a bus/lorry coming ntowards a car and the car driver lost control and he ended up almost kissing that lorry /bus and he was screaming nooooooooo...oh nooooooooooo the bus went round him.

There were some kind people in the snow. One lorry driver gave all the food away he had for delivery. Doctors and nurses walked to hospital so patients were attended to as usual. The kindness just brought tears to my eyes.

My fern was a beautiful green when I wrapped it after I heard snow and ice were due. When I unwrapped it yesterday I was in shock at how it looked. It was a plant killer wind as well. Its still got a bit of green and assured it will be fine.
    K

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It has been a light snow season for us in my part of Wisconsin... hopefully it means we will have a a wet spring to catch up or everything will be too dry...

2ofus likes this.
  13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

image.jpeg Good grief! We have had snow, several inches, but it was all gone after a week, thankfully. It does look so very pretty but my oh my, the damage it can cause! We travelled to North Devon at the weekend and this was our motorway view.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd, 2ofus and 2 others like this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

All that snow!!!! Wow.

It's been wet and rainy here...lots and lots and lots of rain. Record breaking amounts, flood watches and warnings, feels my umbrella is now just an extension of my arm. :(

You guys stay safe...that is crazy!

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

You must live in my own neighbourhood. We've had overnight snow like that. Gone now but keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back

2ofus likes this.
  16. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

It must have been very slick there. Everyone has slid to the wrong side of the road!:whistling::rolleyes: