Heated planter/greenhouse idea.

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by harrylee, Mar 24, 2022.

1. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

I would like to get some opinions on an idea I have.
    I want to convert one of my planters I built into a small greenhouse that I can have my seedlings in while growing.
    I have a heated cord used for keeping ice build up off the roof edge of the house. It is low wattage, so shouldn't use much power.

[​IMG]

I would bury that cord in the dirt in the planter and then have this lid on it. It should gradually heat up the soil and the whole planter. I may even be able to start some plants early in that soil.

[​IMG]

I could make the lid sloped for water run off. What do you all think of this idea?

[​IMG]

Anita-92 likes this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looks like a great idea to me ! Just make sure that there is enough space between the future plants and the top/lid ! And rather than a sloping lid just put some small blocks that will elevate the front and let the rain run down the back side ! Warm days the growing plants need air circulation anyway ! And check the soil temp before you add the seeds/plants to make sure it doesn`t get too warm !

Logan, Sjoerd and harrylee like this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Verify temps as the melting point of ice is a far cry from what is needed for plants.

MIKE ALLEN, Logan and eileen like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

5. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Good idea.
    However may I offer you some advice? Please don't be offended.

1. Soil heating cable is comparitavely cheap. For many benefits. It's advisable to connect it through a thermostat for obvious reasons.
    2. Lay the cable on a flat layer of sand and try and keep equal spacing of the lines of the cable.
    3. Cover the cable with Min of 2inches of sifted soil/compost. This will do for standing pots or seed trays on. If you intend to grow plants dirctly in the soil, then the depth must be at least doubled. If you wish. Surplace or additional heating cable can be secured around the inside of the frame/case to provide aerial heating.
    4.I see from your photo. The cover of the frame/case is polythene. A rigid substance is better. Imagine your tiny seedlings doing well, temperature is holding fine. Condensation has built up. Ripples on the underside of the covering will allow water to gather and then....PLOP! To the tiny seedling being hit by will be like being forcefully dunked.
    Hope these tips will be of use. Enjoy your gardening.

harrylee likes this.