Heavenly Bamboo, Nandina Berries

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, May 6, 2021.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I just saw about this on FB, but their link would not open up. However, I looked on bing.com, and they confirmed that these berries are deadly to birds and wildlife. Maybe they are deadly to kids? They contain cyanide. I don't have any and don't want any. Here is another link about them:

Nandina berries are deadly to birds, so get rid of this toxic bush (courierpress.com)

All kinds of websites are selling these plants. Just a thought.

S-H likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Don't know why but no pictures are showing in the link you provided... So I Googled it up to see what this bush looked like.

It's a very interesting plant - But why is it, that all the toxic plants are also very colorful and eye-catching?

This is something I have noticed elsewhere too. The more harmful a plant. The more beautiful it looks. Why is that often the case in nature?

Just wondering... :headscratch:
    Anyone else notice this also? :shrug:

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Bird have a sense about what is toxic and what is not,, they have survived for years without help from humans ! Just like my horses will not eat what is toxic to them ! Animals have a sense that we can not understand,, just trust them to know !

Cayuga Morning and S-H like this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had Nandina bushes in my front yard for years and have yet to find a dead bird laying around.