Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Namita Usha, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

Hello Everyone,
    Hope everyone is doing really good here. I was on a hibernation from internet for a while because my research hogged most of my time. But I have followed some of the advices I received from here and I have been trying my best with the balcony greenery. The tomato plant seems to be thriving. I am not too sure but I think I saw a flower today. Posting images here :). My photography skills ain't that great but I hope its visible...

garden.JPG

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congratulations with your toms. I have no problems seeing flower buds and the flower you talked about. You must be feeling pretty good st this point.

What sort of containers are you using and what type of toms are you growing?

This is exciting, isn’t it.

Cayuga Morning and Namita Usha like this.
  3. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

Thank you and yes I am very excited. This is the first time I have made it this far with a plant :). I am using a grow bag at present for the tomatoes. Not very sure about the correct term for the type. I got the seeds from a local nursery. It was merely written as 'native tomato seeds'.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhh, soil bags for your toms. I have done that on my balcony twice and had great success. I think that I even posted my efforts on this website. I am expecting you will have success as well.

Too bad there wasn’t more helpful info on your seed pack. Knowing what you are growing and comparing tastes and growing performance in your space there are part of the fun.

I hope you will keep us abreast of your plants’ progress. Well done thus far, meid.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Namita— I just finished listening to Gardners’ Question Time ( GQT) on my tablet while I was fooling about here. One of the answers included some comments on good toms that you could try for your growing situation. You may want to listen to it. It is on BBC Radio 4.
    Link for your fone, tablet or laptop: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000s3pg
    The title of the episode is “Sunken Beds and Nostalgic Scents”.

6. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

I am really glad to know. I'll check up on the posts you mentioned. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Yes, you are right about the seeds. However next time i'll make sure to check up more on them while buying. I'll definitely keep updating here. This group has been so helpful and patient and has been quite inspiring. Especially for amateurs, this is a great place to learn.

Odif and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

Thank you so much for sharing this episode with me. It was extremely informative. I really had no idea about the side shoots. I couldnt have learnt about it on a better time. Thank you again :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No worries. You are welcome.

Namita Usha likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Namita, our daughter grows veggies on her balcony. Very successfully in such a small space. Her biggest problems are the wind which can knock things down (she's taken to tying plants to the railings) and being careful that she does not "water" the woman who sits on the balcony below hers!

I wish you well with your growing. They are doing very well!

Namita Usha and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Sj, that was a great show!

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

I am so glad to hear that hear about your daughter's balcony garden. I can definitely relate with the struggles of maintaining one. Thank you so much for your kind wishes. :)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Namita Usha

Namita Usha New Seed

Hello everyone, I am brimming with some happy news. I have been absent from the internet for sometime, thanks to the pandemic and a few back to back disasters my hometown went through.
    However I am glad to share that 1. The first set of tomatoes I ever grew made my day and was one of the highlights of my life recently, and 2. I finally finished and submitted my masters thesis and will be officially awarded my degree in the upcoming week.
    Sharing a pic.:)

Attached Files:

Frank, Droopy, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  13. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Welcome back :)

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So good to see you back again!! Congratulations on your tomato growing and, of course, your degree. It sounds as though this year is really good one for you.

15. Cayuga Morning

Congrats Namita!! Excellent news about your tomato but even better news about your degree. You know I readily clicked on your photo expecting to see a proud you smiling with your degree, but instead found the tomato! Although, this is I guess a gardening website.

Congrats on both accounts.

Sjoerd likes this.