Hello from Land O' Lakes Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Calomaar, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Hello from Land O' Lakes Wisconsin,
    I'm a retired 66 year old, enjoying my later years, doing mostly the things that I enjoy. My wife, of 37 years, Mimi, and our 2 good and loyal friends Deputy, a 13 1/2 year old Yellow Lab, and Patch a mostly black, 12 year old, Heinz 57 type cat, live in a newly remodeled home on a lake in far northern Wisconsin.
    I am going to try to get a vegetable garden going this spring. Because of arthritis in my knees and feet, working on my knees is out, so I'm going to try container gardening on shallow tables, or beds built right onto the tables. It is here that I need advice, as I haven't done anything like this in the past. How do I set up the containers, holes for drainage, stones, soil, is it different for different plants, is watering the same as an in ground garden, is lake water good to use, ????? Where do I get the best quality seeds ??? Is it better to start seeds in hot beds, or in the basement under lighting ???? And, anything else that may be helpful getting started.

2. Loading...

3. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Welcome Calomaar, from New Orleans. I have spent much time in your part of the world and it's gorgeous there. A tad cold, but so pretty.
    Before I retired, I did some building of raised tables for nursing home inmates so they could do some gardening. My biggest problem was keeping the plants watered being planted in soil on the table. I made the base of the table out of a lexan with tiny holes drilled in it. The holes were too big and to close together, so the soil drained daily.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Calomaar :wave:
    Welcome to gardenstew from southern Ontario!
    I'm afraid I can't give much advice about raised beds, but I'm sure that someone else will be along soon.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hiya and WELCOME from West Lothian in Scotland!!

Lovely to have you here with us Calomaar. :D I hope someone can help you out with your raised beds soon.

Advertisement
  6. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Welcome. While you need good drainage, too much would be a problem. You don't want to have to water these daily.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Calomaar, glad you finally posted an introduction :) Any chance of getting a look at Deputy and Patch sometime? They sound like quite the pair.

As regards your questions my suggestion would be to start separate topics for them as this will allow more people to see them and provide answers.

Welcome to GardenStew!