Hello there!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by WolfMom22, Feb 6, 2023.

1. WolfMom22

WolfMom22 New Seed

Hello! My name is Sarina and I'm a long time gardener, but still very much a novice, if that makes any sense, lol. When I lived in the midwest, I had both veggie and flower gardens. I had such a green thumb back then! I'm now in the PNW- Idaho to be exact. I've been living here for about 12 years now, and I just can't get an veggies to take off at all. Flowers are doing ok. My houseplants are great. I just really want those veggies!

Anyway...now I'm just busy with my pack of wolves. Just kidding, they're huskies. Just basically looking to meet new people with same interests. And perhaps some future seed swapping -- does anyone do that anymore?
    Hope to see you around! Have a good one!

Frank, Dirtmechanic, Logan and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello, Sarina! Welcome to the Stew from the wet and windy northwest coast of Norway. There are plenty of veggie gardeners on here, and I'm certain you'll find someone to discuss veggies in Idaho with. Yes, you make sense! One never stops learning when it comes to gardening. Hop in and make yourself at home!

Logan, eileen, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  4. WolfMom22

WolfMom22 New Seed

Thanks so much Droopy, for the warm welcome! I'm hoping to get comfy here and making new friends! :stew1::stew2:

5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Welcome Sarina from the Interior mountains of British Columbia. The Stew is a fabulous, knowlegable and welcoming place to be. I'm happy that you found it.

When I read Idaho Sarina, I had a smile. The University of Idaho has an amazing resource for vegetable gardening in the many different micro climates of Idaho. It helped me a lot with navigating a cold climate vegetable garden. I tried to attach a few links for you, but their site is under rennovation right now.

If you haven't explored their sight before, they have been the best resource I have found for planning a shorter season garden, what varieties are best adapted to different parts of Idaho ( or areas such as mine) , how to give tomatoes an early start and fighting chance....and so much more. They have a guide to what veggies will do well based on your altitude and frost free days.

Hopefully they have their sight up and running soon so that the publications can be accessed. I have a hard copy of the tomato one if you're ever interested.

Hope this helps. :) And welcome. :)

https://www.uidaho.edu/search?q=sho...aho.edu/search?xml=1&ticks=635409346879695626

https://www.uidaho.edu/search?q=growing tomatos

https://www.uidaho.edu/search?q=vegetables in a cool climate

Logan, eileen, WolfMom22 and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing more about your gardening adventures in Idaho.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A warm welcome to you from a rather chilly Scotland. We're hoping that our weather improves soon so that we can spend more time in our garden.

Logan, Pacnorwest and WolfMom22 like this.
  9. WolfMom22

WolfMom22 New Seed

@Melody Mc. thank you so much for sharing those links! I will definitely dive into those! I really miss having a productive veggie garden. Currently I have a pepper and tomato plant growing indoors, under grow light. They are flowering and I've been taking a little paint brush to them. Fingers crossed they'll produce some fruit!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! It's been a long hot minute since I've joined a forum. I always loved learning where everyone is from and their different growing climates, etc. I think I'm going to like it here. :stew1::stew2:

Logan, Droopy, eileen and 2 others like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Sarina :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from Southern Ontario!

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Hello and welcome to the forums @WolfMom22 from the UK.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Welcome!

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Pacnorwest likes this.