Hello! Trying out gardening for the first time!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Leah Sattler, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Leah Sattler

Leah Sattler New Seed

Hello! I live in Minnesota and am planning to plant a vegetable garden this spring. I know very little about growing anything, so I hope to find some tips here! Thanks :)

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome ! We will be happy to help. You are in cold country so may be planting later than most here !! But its all the same ,, put seeds in the ground and wait for them to grow !! Just ask any questions you need help with.

Leah Sattler likes this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hello and welcome from the pyrenees. Do you have any photos of the patch that you wish to plant your vegetables, so we can see where you are at, we may be able to give more helpful advice.

Leah Sattler likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi @Leah Sattler and a warm welcome to GardenStew :hi: Feel free to ask any questions that crop up during your gardening adventure. We'll answer as many as we can!

Leah Sattler likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to our forums Leah and I'm sure we'll be able to help you with your vegetable growing. I look forward to getting to know you.

Leah Sattler likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Select a suitable location of your plot. Pay attention to its orientation (N,S,E,W) for a goodly amount of sun exposure.

Discover what soil type you have and if possible, get an analysis of minerals and soil pH. The second part isn’t essential, but it will help you to understand what crops/flowers your plot can grow without supplementation.

Once you know the limits of your soil and location e.g. where you will establish your plot, you can decide if you want to have raised beds or not.

Now you are at the point where you need to decide what crops / flowers you want to grow. Begin with the internet, then visit some garden centres and chat with the personnel about what you want to do and see what they think will do well in your zone. Further, you can obtain some seed catalogues to pour-over and dream with.

I will only say begin small. Do not let yourself be sucked-up into an idealized dream that may not be realistic. Just begin small and work up over time to a large garden that falls within your capabilities to maintain.

What you can strive for is this:
    --A plot
    --An area for compost
    --Rain water collection and city water point
    --An area to collect manure
    --A greenhouse or potting shed

All of this may not be possible the first year, or perhaps too expensive even in the long run. Obviously having room for a plot, or perhaps if you are planning on gardening on a balcony – the identification of the growing place is the most important aspect of the above mentioned points of attention.

Now then, once you have taken steps, we can speak further about crop/plant selection as well as methods of growing, care and harvest.

Come on then...lets get cracking!

Leah Sattler, Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Welcome Leah! We've got some great gardeners here! Hi Sjoerd! Hi Frank! Hi Eileen!