Help!! Butterfly bush is turning brown and dying.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by BudSprout, Aug 14, 2008.

1. BudSprout

BudSprout New Seed

Hello everyone. I really need some help. I have a beautiful butterfly bush that I planted last summer. This year when it came back and nearly doubled in size and was quite the eye catcher, however now I'm afraid that it might be going downhill :'(

It's stalks have become brown instead of it's usual green and the leaves have drooped and are now drying up and getting crunchy. We've had a fairly nice summer with some rain and when it hasn't been rainy I've made sure that it got a good drink. The others around it are doing well but I fear that they too may suffer the same fate. I was wondering if anyone might know what might have happened to my poor baby? Too much or not enough water? Disease or pest? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:

3. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

I had the same problem in South Carolina and did not know what caused it. I cut mine way back and it grew back without problems. It did not affect the other butterfly bushes in the same bed. I hope this helps. I am sure someone with more experience with this will come along and help you!

4. BudSprout

BudSprout New Seed

Thanks bunches, travelingbooklover. I really appreciate your advice. I cut back all branches extending from the main stalk. Would you recommend that I cut the stalk down too? It's pretty tall in comparison to it's size when I first bought it (about 3 1/2 feet or so). I'm afraid of traumatizing it so I thought that I should ask before I got carried away.

It was such a pitty this weekend. I had been hoping to see hummingbirds this summer and I was beginning to doubt that they would ever come. Early Saturday morning I was opening my daughter's blinds to her window and found a beautiful emerald-green one flitting about the other butterfly bushes and my daisies! I was so excited, but then got a little bummed because the little fellow kept trying to find a bit of something on the wilting butterfly bush. I really hope that it comes back (both the bush and the hummingbird! ;) )

Thanks again! I'll let you know if it comes back around.

BudSprout :D