Help Identifying lawn issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by doh102, Jul 18, 2011.

1. doh102

doh102 New Seed

Hello to all,

I was hoping someone might be able to identify the problem I am having with my lawn. I am in Western Michigan. Within the last month or so, I am getting small dead patches of grass. Bright green, then a small patch of yellow lawn. I have had some say it's dollar spot, some say billbug, some say grubs. Not really sure how to figure out what it is, but needless to say I am new to this home owning business and have not been able to identify the culprit in the dirt below. I will attempt to attach pictures in an effort to demonstrate the issue. Any ideas on the cause of the problem, along with the fix, would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [/img]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The damage from billbugs and grubs is similar and require insecticides at specific times of the critters life to effectively get them under control.
    But Dollar Spot is a fungal disease and needs totally different treatment.

You might want to call in a lawn expert so they can ID which problem you have then you will know what kind of treatment to use.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here in the UK we get similar types of damage caused by Leatherjackets (Cranefly larvae.) However I would follow Toni's advice and get an expert to look at your lawn as the problem could be caused by many different things. Good luck!!