Help..leggy tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

They look great Hummerbum! I can't believe you have tomatoes forming already!

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hummerbum, your tomatoes are amazing. I would like to have half your ambition. I'm just now setting out tomato plants. I planted seed in potting soil and they're just large enough for garden transplanting.
    I wonder why I haven't been getting posts from gardenstew?

hummerbum likes this.
  3. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks, Cayuga...I'm trying out different methods and tastes to which I like best. This is the first time EVERRRRR that I've had this many. I don't know if what I'm doing every day is helping (using the electric toothbrush that someone on here suggested last year), but I'll take them...lol.

Thanks Growingpains! I see danger and the real threat of them slowing way down because of the extreme humidity here. That's why i said i was using a fan out on the patio...not enough air flow. I like to think out of the box to get things done..I have a vision in my head of how i want the to look in full bloom out there and i caught a glimpse of it yesterday. So exciting and makes me want to keep adding...lmbo...so what did i do..i started more seeds to replace the determinate ones that will be dying...only this time, i'm growing 2 indeterminates in soil, 2 dwarf determinates/1 dwarf indet. and sugar baby watermelon hydroponically. Stepping up the hydro game. Oh, there are a lot of other fruit/veggies out in those pots. Some are working and some are not!!

Carolyn...your Galina's tomato is starting to fruit!! It has a baby that I rescued and yeah..it's ready for a pot.

Come to think of it...i broke the #1 gardening rule....Label everything!!! most of those that you all see are not labeled because when I planted the parent plant, some had a baby or two and I didn't throw them away. Some were near death!! However, I didn't label them right away either!!! So when i tell you that i have about 3 black krim offsprings out there, believe it. I spent about 30 mins looking at leaves yesterday, to match them with their parents. I gave up and decided to just wait until the fruit, hopefully, appear.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hummerbum, your gardening method sounds like fun and an adventure.

I set out 4 Mortgage Lifters, 4 Mr. Stripeys, 4 Cherokee Purple, each with a Marigold beside it. Also a few Begonias. All while slapping at mosquitoes. No bites as I had sprayed myself with Bite Blocker, but their whining around my face and ears drives me batty.

hummerbum likes this.

Advertisement
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I'm trying Growingpains, to see which method would work better for me and i must say, it's a lot of fun.

Great job on your plantings...can't wait to see the Mortgage Lifter.

Growingpains likes this.
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Marlingardener...I had to lay those puppies down..they were almost 7 ft tall. Got stems bending every which way.. You should see my patio now...(will take pics this evening or in the morn). Looks like a garden jungle and I'm loving it. The temps are over 90 degrees now but i have an oscillating fan out there...lolllll
    Until then....this one is finally turning red. I did a little rearranging, so I guess it loves the spot. Finally turning red.jpg

eileen and Growingpains like this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Wow Hummer, you sure know how to grow tomatoes!

hummerbum likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I don't know about that Growing pains...I would have to give credit to all of these good people on this forum. They are the ones with great advice..i'm still a student :) But thank you..i definitely am trying.

Growingpains and Frank like this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

That's about all we can do.

hummerbum likes this.
  10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Update: 6/18/18
    After my bout of saving my plants from the brink of chlorine destruction (crew was pressure washing the complex), the Red Robin tomatoes are ripening well since i changed their location. The fan is doing an amazing job. Not only to cut the humidity & moisture in the pots, slow down the nasty mushrooms and the fungus gnats, but to cool off the plants...looks like most of them were quite happy to set off more blossoms everywhere...I'm soooo happy to have something to hand pollinate with that electric toothbrush and know that it is working. I have actually started topping off those really large one so they can put the energy into the fruit.
    We have lift off!!!.jpg

We have lift off 2.jpg

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh meid--those toms look perfect. Mine are still green.
    You are having another good year, aren't you.
    Such a good gardener you are.

hummerbum likes this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Sjoerd...I just hope that they taste as great as they look...lol. This is my first year having more than one tomato. I don't know if you remember, I grew a Black Krim (ONE) that whole season, on that 8 foot tomato plant, so this surpasses anything that I have ever done tomato-wise....LMBO!!!!

Growingpains likes this.
  13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I freely admit to much envy. They're awesome.

Regarding the use of the fan, we wanted to pick our first green beans early before the heat was terrible and avoid mosquitoes. We didn't want to handle wet plants, so we set a fan on a trash can, ran an extension cord out and picking beans was pleasure!

hummerbum likes this.
  14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you Growingpains..you have beans..mine came up and something in the soil ate the plants every Bush bean, so I threw away the soil, sterilized the grow bag in the microwave and sprayed it down with s bleach water solution..its good now...aired out for 2 months. Oh and yay for the fan!!!

Growingpains likes this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hummer, I doubt I would go to all the trouble you do, but the beans are producing really well, thankfully. Today I picked about 3 quarts and I'm guessing they will be ready for picking again in two days.
    I'll be glad when tomatoes and cucumbers beginning supplying us with salad fixings, to add to the lettuce we pick about every other day.

hummerbum likes this.