Help..leggy tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Feb 6, 2018.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hello Everyone..Time for updates...I went on our annual Girls Weekend Vacay for a few days..and thank goodness I made it back in time...I lost a few tender seedlings...but most of the tomatoes are fruiting just fine...and yes the fan is still going and i'm still using the electric toothbrush. Some plants are showing signs of heat related issues but are producing wonderfully. I had my first harvest of maters (10) last week from Red Robin....my thoughts are that they are not a sweet tomato by no means..lol, but still a little tomatoey and they were my tomatoes!!!! YESSSS. The next harvest will be Tomato Principe Borghese today or tomorrow. This plant is doing really well even though I've had to bend it like Beckham and tie it sideways. It has really nice clusters on it. Early Girl is putting on a show finally and it definitely is a pretzel. Mr. Stripey I believe is starting to strut its stuff. Patio Container (Yellow) and Galinas are doing it's thing. There are many offsprings of the parents out there, so stay tuned.

Tomato Principe Borghese
    Tomato Principe Borghese.jpg
    Tomato Principe Borghese #2.jpg
    Tomato Principe Borghese #3.jpg

Red Robin
    Red Robin.jpg

Early Girl
    Early Girl.jpg

Growingpains, Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  2. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

By the Way!! Does anyone know what the caps (the fingers) of the tomato are called?

Growingpains likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The "cap", or "fingers" is called the calyx.

Hey--you've got colour!!! Those toms are beautiful. Big congrats. How long did they last before they were eaten? :snicker:

hummerbum and Growingpains like this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

In my garden, those tomatoes might not make it inside. Especially the earliest Grape tomatoes.

hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Sjoerd and Growingpains....they lasted quite a while...until yesterday. I shared the "harvests" with a few people, even took some home for my mom to sample..she was thrilled and so was our family friend whose garden I used to raid every year, but now he can no longer garden. Both were amazed. I also shared with my neighbor, who thinks its so cool that i am growing on the patio. He likes the tomato jungle.
    Also, thanks Sjoerd for the name of the "caps".

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You really shared-around Hummer.
    It is such a good feeling to share and have people actually like what you give them.
    You must be enormously proud of your gardening accomplishments.
    Keep it up!

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you, I am Sjoerd and it feels good...sweet tomatoes or not..lol

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.
  8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hummer, it's true generosity when a gardener shares tomatoes.
    We shared quite a bit of lettuce, but I'm not sure about tomatoes!

Sjoerd, Odif and hummerbum like this.
  9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hi Everyone I've posted since February 2018 about these babies..I looked back since the beginning and I am so proud of myself because I actually kept them to the end!!! Literally a tomato jungle. This has to be the most satisfying feeling for a gardener...A big thank you to the wealth of knowledge in this forum (you all). My cheerleader from the winter to now....Sjoerd!!! I appreciate your comments and friendship more than you know!!!! Without all the advice and expertise from everyone, those babies would have never survived (Thank You Carolyn, for the light advise). Thank You A Million Times Over ~~~ Ok, Time for updates!! The plants are starting to look like they want to rest in this heat. So this weekend..I will finally get to snip some suckers to root and get ready for the fall. I hate to with all the. blossoms coming on now, but I know it's a part of the process. By the way, did I get all tomato varieties that are not sweet tasting at all? Every last one that I've eaten from my patio is a little sour but yet tastes like a tomato. Is there something that I'm missing to sweeten the deal? lol I can't remember who was interested in what the Galinas would taste like (i believe it was Carolyn). Well, actually it was the best tasting tomato out of all that I've enjoyed so far. Still not as sweet, but it was almost there. Finally, Early Girl ripened and my hubby enjoyed a samich!! They also were not sweet, but a beautiful tomato...almost a shocking bright red. I have a few Early Girls on the plant now but that lady has many side stems everywhere. It is one huge plant. I do have some Orange Russian babies and Beauties waiting for the soil.

8/2/18..Tomato Sandwich anyone? Galinas on top, Borghese in the middle, Patio Container on the bottom
    8-2-18.jpg

8/6/18 Early Girl - First 2.
    8-6-18.jpg
    Same ones 2 days later
    8-8-18.jpg

Sliced for sandwich.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Just beautiful and apparently tasty too. I assume you prefer sweet tomatoes? I prefer the more acid taste. Sweet tomatoes are good for sauce, etc, but for sandwiches and slicers, give me high acid.
    I think you will be picking tomatoes until October.

hummerbum likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

A little bit of baking soda sprinkled around the tomatoes will sweeten them ! It reduces the acid !

Growingpains and hummerbum like this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Gowingpains...it was time to cut the plants down...except the early girls. Looks so bare out there.

Growingpains likes this.
  13. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Mart!!!

Growingpains likes this.
  14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Mart, K didn't know about the baking soda.
    I'm pretty certain I will be picking the last tomatoes at the beginning of October, which will be happiness for me.

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Remember for your next planting !! About teaspoon on each side a few inches away from the stem and watered in !!

hummerbum and Growingpains like this.