Help, mold on new lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by montesser, Jul 29, 2006.

1. montesser

montesser New Seed

Help

I recently bought a new home that was only seeded once 6 weeks prior to my close date. They covered the planted areas with straw. It was early summer and there was little or no rain during this period so a lot of the grass seed died and the straw had blown away by the time I had moved in. After I moved, my mother told me that I should start watering the grass twice a day to that the seeds that survived would start to grow. It did for a couple of weeks, then stopped. We mowed the lawn with a mulch mower at 3 ½ inches high once a week to keep the grass level even. We then received two separate periods of heavy rain so I stopped watering. Now, in some areas of my lawn, there are black patches appearing. The soil that was originally used was red clay. They are appearing in areas where there would be standing water after the rain. Is this some sort of fungus or mold? How can I get rid of this and what do I need to do to save my lawn before we plant new grass seed in September? I love my mother dearly, but she's no expert, and I think what she has me doing is killing my lawn.[/info][/url]

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

4. montesser

montesser New Seed