Help Save The Crape myrtle

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Kristylea, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

They certainly look better than that first one. Good luck with them! I've been seeing a deep red one around here... might have to add another one to the collection. :stew2:

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

The plants look good! What is going on with the spot? Plastic?

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It looks healthy and happy. Is it still in a pot? I think I see a rim around it. If so, get it into the ground.
    Also, get rid of the black plastic. It will impede water penetration and heat the soil, too. Mulch, bark mulch, any natural mulch that appeals to you will be much better for the myrtle.

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Looks good to me. I watered mine a lot the first year, but I live in a hot, dry part of Texas. We do get summer rain but Texas is not known for it's rain. I think I posted a picture of one of mine blooming. I think if you look in "My Garden" you might see it. It's just beginning the fourth summer. I looked. It's the fourth or fifth picture back. It's titled "Dakota" for the horse in it.

dooley

6. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

7. purpleinopp

That looks helpful for places where rain is rare. When you do need to water, it won't run away sideways. It would probably help it to not get so hot if you are able to bury it a bit, even with the soil surface, or just a bit under, at its' top surface. It looks like there is plastic between the rain rim and the brick border? I fear this setup may be creating a wet 'bowl effect' right in the middle, without allowing moistening the surrounding soil (if/when it does rain) so the roots can progress farther into the ground. That's also got to be making the ground much hotter from its' dark color.

Your tree doesn't look like it's struggling in your pics, quite the opposite. I'd probably start leaving it alone unless it looks like it's starting to wilt, or needs some part trimmed to maintain a great shape.

8. cherylad

I was wondering what part of Texas you live in Kristy... out west where there's hardly any rain?
    Crepe Myrtles thrive over here (I'm between Houston and Beaumont) without any watering except from Mother Nature.
    Is it easy to remove that ring or is it permanent?

9. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

I am near McKinney, TX a suburb of it. The black that you see is weed control fabric. I am going to put some white rocks down. It is a permanent ring but I can remove it if I want. It's just sitting on top of the ground basically. You know those bags you fill up and put around the tree and it continuously water it. This is basically the same you fill it with water and it disburse down to the roots.

10. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

11. cherylad

That Crepe Myrtle will look great there!
    Look at all that space you have to play with :stew2:

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

Thank you! I don't have any trees in my back yard and I want some. So, that's the next project besides changing the brick design. I am a little proud this is my first home. lol

13. purpleinopp

Yeah, tons of room to garden there!!

Can't pass by without sharing my opinion about the weed block fabric though. It doesn't do any of the things it claims it can/will, and eventually causes more harm than good. It will hinder desirable plants in various ways, and weeds can/will grow on top of it just fine. Putting cardboard under mulch is a much more effective method, which will smother existing weeds, then decompose (adding some nutrients to the soil,) doesn't hinder growth of desirable plants, quite the opposite.

To maintain, add more mulch as the old decomposes. Once you gain control of the weeds by killing the existing ones - which looks like a feat already accomplished from your pics, then pulling any new sprouts before they are difficult to do (and well before they are mature enough to drop more seeds in your beds,) control is not difficult to maintain, especially in such a small spot. I spend maybe 10 minutes every 2-3 weeks looking for sprouts and pulling them in my yard and don't have any weeds. I don't consider it weeding since there are no weeds that I'm aware when I go on patrol. It's mostly about checking on my plants, which I would want to do anyway, but while doing that, any sprouts are pulled.

Eventually the weed fabric will degrade, and become enmeshed with the roots of the crape myrtle, making its' removal a chore that everyone who has ever done it has regretted having to do. It looks like it would still be easy to remove at this point.

My Mom put that stuff down about 4 years ago in a bed and there are as many unwanted sprouts in that area as any other spot where sprouts haven't been pulled while small. The difference in the weed fabric spot is that it's not possible to pull the weeds up, their roots are enmeshed with the weed fabric also. This fall, I'm going to have to dig all of that up so we can get rid of the weeds - again - totally worse than it ever was. Her dog is what keeps me from visiting the back yard often. In the front, where I patrol often and pull sprouts, the area remains weed free.

14. cherylad

I have to agree with Purple about that fabric. My aunt insisted I use it on her flower beds. I tried talking her into cardboard or newspaper and she wouldn't hear of it. So... fabric it was. And she still complains about all the weeds.
    Since you've already cleared out the area of grass/weeds... I'd suggest a good layer of newspaper instead.

15. Kristylea

Kristylea New Seed

Thank you Purple and Cheryl! That was my complaint too that the grass keeps growing through the fabric. I will make the proper adjustment. Yes, I was diligent on the weeds. I trick I learned was to add dish washing liquid to week killer and it kills them faster and more effectively. I am the only weed free yard in my neighborhood. Very proud of that. I am going to use cardboard and news paper. Thanks again! Love and welcome your ideas!

cherylad likes this.