Help!! Which wall do I feature?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by mum27, Jul 8, 2007.

1. mum27

mum27 New Seed

I'm wondering if anyone can help me work out which walls I should "feature" when I repaint my living area. It is an open plan living area and would like to paint it a boring beige colour (my husband is very conservative!), but paint some of the walls a darker shade of brown - I have the colours picked out. My problems is that I would like feature the longest wall in the area (quite long), but am not sure whether it will make the area look smaller. Can anyone help with design rules??

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi mum27, welcome to GardenStew!

Now let's see, personally I would feature a wall that more in the line of sight than others. After all making a feature of a wall that is 'tucked away' would be a waste of resources. Maybe a wall that is adjacent to an entrance or a large window.

I agree that a large dark wall may make the room appear small, colour psychology seems to to say that.

Let's see if anyone else has any ideas. Nevertheless please keep us updated :)

// Frank

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

The first wall you see when you step into the space...

5. JUSTIMAGINE design

JUSTIMAGINE design New Seed

Although it is often said to paint the first wall you see as you walk in..........this rule is not always easy to follow. Often a solid wall a good choice ie: no windows or doors.....think about where you want the eye to go as you walk in the room...are you trying to define an area or just add depth/interest to a room???

A long wall sounds great and can be very effective.

Hard for me to say without photos though.

Also depends on what is against and/or on the wall......anyway I hope this is some sort of help.