Help with Hydrangeas

Discussion in 'Hydrangea' started by bcoots76, Jun 28, 2005.

1. bcoots76

bcoots76 New Seed

I planted 4 hydrangeas last spring. They have all been doing great until recently. Three out of the four look like they are dying. The leaves and flowers are turing brown and curling up. I live in central IL and it has been hot here lately. I have been watering them. The one looks great. Any ideas on what could be wrong or what I can do? We haven't had any rain lately. How much should I water them? Would any certain kind of fertilizer help? Thank you all!.........Brian

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. nicki
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Brian and a very BIG welcome to the GardenStew forums :wave:

Are your hydrangeas in full sun? Maybe they are suffering from a bit of leaf scorch. I know hydranges prefer dappled shade.

Also check out this page of hydrangea diseases http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1212/ The described disease 'Anthracnose' (halfway down the page) looks pretty much like what you described.

Hope this helps, do not hesitate to ask any further questions of provide additional information so we can get the the bottom of your problem.

4. bcoots76

bcoots76 New Seed

Hydrangea help

They are mainly in the shade most of the day. It has been very hot here in IL with very little rain. I just wonder if I need to water them more. I have been watering about 2 to 3 times a week. It has been in the 90's. Should I water every day? Thanks