Help with my pond - water flowing over the top off filters

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by allycc, Jun 21, 2007.

1. allycc

allycc New Seed

Hi Everyone. New to this game but her goes.
    I have a oase biotec 10 with a prima xl auto pump and a vorton 4500 uvc. I have a waterfall of about a meter so this means the pump is meant to pump around 150L/M and the filter is meant to handle 166L/M but for some reason the water is flowing over the top off te filters. I thought is was the red filters being to old and dirty so I changed them and that worked for about half a day. I have about 20 fish in my pond and have not seen them for about 6 months because the water is so green. The pond came with the house so this pond game is all new to me. The first year the water was clear and no probs with the filter, so what has happened? Any help would be great

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there,

I think you may need to treat your water to get rid of all the algae and other plant matter that has accumulated Allycc. The filters will just keep blocking with all the detritus otherwise. :( The alternative is to drain the pond completely and clean it thoroughly before refilling.
    Do you have plenty of oxygenating plants in your pond as these help to keep the water clear and sweet?
    I don't keep fish in my pond, as it is purely for wildlife, but fish do tend to pollute a pond especially of they are large ones. Also make sure you don't overfeed your fish or the excess food will rot and build up algae too. I've had no problems with my filters at all over the last few years as the plants I have act as filters too.
    You don't say what size your pond is but if the pump and filters worked well the first year then I don't think they will be the cause of your problems.

Good luck and do let me know how you get on. :-D

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

We occasionally have an algae problem in early spring and use a product called ACCUCLEAR. You MUST follow the directions exactly. You need floating plants and some submerged plants to have a nicely balanced pond.