Helping out your local businesses during COVID-19 - What can we do?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, May 3, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I would like to start this thread, because I am sure that everyone of us has a favorite eating place, (I have several actually). As well as a hardware store - Plus a few more places where I go for raw materials.

Over the last 2 decades, a lot of these people have become very good acquaintances of mine. Therefore I wouldn't want anything to happen to their livelihoods...

But unfortunately, a lot of their businesses are suffering - So here I would like to exchange ideas about what we can do for them, right now?

The hardest hit are the restaurants and fast-food outlets. They are now only allowed to process takeaway orders, or home delivery calls.

However many people are still afraid to order. I can of course understand their fears. But it is a fact that if you place your food in the microwave oven for 2 to 3 minutes on high power - It will kill off all traces of COVID-19. So this is a safe practice, (use your own home washed plates and utensils). But don't stack up all the food in the microwave at once. I am talking about each individual serving.

Alright, so anybody got anymore ideas?

IMG_20180612_201439_HDR_copy_2880x1620.jpg
    IMG_20180621_194808_HDR_copy_2880x1620.jpg
    IMG_20180612_201613_HDR_copy_2880x1620.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have 5 small eateries that we have been getting meals from during all this 'fun' time. They are each the last one or two of their brand in our area ...Dickies and Marshals for BBQ, Flying Fish for the best fried Cat Fish in the state, The Diner of Dallas for really good breakfasts and Burger House for ..well burgers and chicken strips.
    Some of the restrictions have been lifted around us so going into the places to eat is okay again...so yesterday we went to Flying Fish for lunch and Marshals for supper....good to see long time friends again.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I totally understand you Toni. I also don't go to the big corporate fast-food outlets, (I find their attitude to be detached from reality). If I needed something that is 90% made in a far away factory, (and just required some heat before serving) - I rather go buy something from the frozen food section of the supermarkets...

Which I guess explains why I am trying to favor these small businesses, (specially at a time like this). First of all, their taste is clearly superior. Their quantity of food is slightly more for the same amount of price. But best of all - They are all family owned and managed businesses, (so for the sake of their own family name, they at least don't compromise on hygiene).

IMG_20180514_202157_copy_2880x1620.jpg IMG_20180514_202228_copy_2880x1620.jpg