Helping The Honeybees --- 4

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya AA--Boy, you have had some troubles with those hornets and wasps. I hope that they don't bother you this year.

Thanks for your reaction GLENDA--I was surprised to hear that your dad kept bees. He may have tapped on the hives to get the bees to come out of their hive. They do not usually like too much tapping, and I guess that they naturally come out to investigate or perhaps to "correct" the noise problem. hahaha.

The woodpeckers and blue tits here peck on the hives sometimes and out they come, only to be picked-off by the birds. I wonder if those birds actually know that the pecking brings the bees out.

Hoi GE--I think that you are spot on about too few people realizing the importance of bees and wanting to do something to help them. There are however quite a few that are indeed aware of the dreadful plight of the bees and do do various things to help in their own way.
    You are also correct when you say that it isn't just pesticides and diseases that are responsible for the decline in bee numbers. The loss of meadowland with wildflowers and hedgerows are also important reasons. I am well aware of the schemes in GB and it is such a good thing. Here in our country there are some actions but on a less larger scale. Heck, our own politicians are doing very little to positively help the bee situation. Last year some gemeente's agreed to do some bee-friendly planting.
    Most of the helpful things done here are small scale and local, but every little bit helps.

Now meid, no need for feeling guilty at all. hahaha. If you want to do something you can always plant a couple of dracht plants in your garden. Perhaps your friend would like to do it as well.

Anyhow, thanks for your nice reaction.

2. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Well, seeds have been sown, plants have been planted, all ready for the bees.
    But where is SPRING??? So far, no seedlings (outside), no new growth, and most of all, no (bumble)bees :eek:
    Just lots of sleet & freezing temps.
    Easter should be a little warmer, or so they say....
    :stew2:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hahaha...good question. Just 10 minutes ago it was snowing here. :eek:

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRk! (needle dragging across the record) ..It is snowing NOW!!!

I have not seen any bumblebees OR solitary bees at all. My bees have flown out of their kasten a few times...a sort of "sanitary flight"(reinigingsvlucht), but that was days ago.

I have a number of plants and bulbs on the windowsill at the moment. The tuinbonen I have placed out on the front balcony in hopes of slowing their growth down a bit. I suppose that they are asking themselves when the spring will arrive too.

This poor weather is the perfect time for me to do some "bee jobs" inside where its nice and warm.

4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

I have only checked in sporadically but have read a few of your bee posts...sounds like a lot of work. I hope you enjoy it as much as your garden. :)
    "Bee"careful :sete_011:

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh...thanks Gail.
    "Bee careful"....you're a caution.

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Sounds like the entire northern hemisphere has colder weather than we normally have. Ours is a lot drier than we're used to too. I wonder if we're setting some kind of record. I have to check when I remember. :D