Hi all from Midlands UK

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Kminster, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Kminster

Kminster New Seed

Hi everyone at GardenStew.

I'm an avid gardener from North West Worcestershire , UK. Unfortunately I am without a garden as I live in a flat lol
    ( I look after my moms garden )

It is a gravelled courtyard garden with large deep troughs and many, many pots and is basically in a cottage garden style with a few fruit trees. We also have a small ( 6' by 4' ) greenhouse mainly used for tomatoes and late chrysanthemums.

As I live in a flat I love growing houseplants and have a collection of around 40 to 60.

I also love propogating plants from cuttings and seed. And nothing gives me greater pleasure than to sell any babies I grow in the shop I work in . I work for a dog rescue charity.

Logan, Sjoerd, nitram and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good to have you here with us Kminster. Welcome to the best gardening forums ever. We'd love to see photographs of your house plants and your mum's garden. Your job must be an interesting and worthwhile one. Maybe you could tell us a little about it too.:stew1:

4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

:hi: @Kminster welcome to GS and lovely to have you with us...it sounds like you love your plants :like: and i'm all for dog rescue charities...good off you on that score ;)

I bet working in your moms garden gives you great pleasure..it will be even better when the weather picks up but my hubby has just announced sad news for we -10 weather coming in the next week or so :eek:

Cayuga Morning and Kminster like this.
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great to have you join us on GardenStew @Kminster Very interested to hear about progress in your garden adventure!

Gail-Steman and Kminster like this.

Advertisement
  6. Kminster

Kminster New Seed

Thanks Eileen, Frank and Gail ?

When I've settled in a bit and found my way around I'll start a thread showing the transformation we've made in the garden over the last 18 months or so. It always takes me a while as I'm not very tech savvy and only have a mobile for access to the internet.
    I'll have to work out how to post piccys as well lol.

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well it will be nice to see how you've done the garden and can't wait and uploading images off the site is easy unless you mean your phone :)

Kminster likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome aboard Kminster....looking forward to hearing more about your garden, your indoor plants& your propagating of them!

Kminster and Gail-Steman like this.
  9. Kazzawazza

Kazzawazza Seedling

Hi Kminster

Welcome aboard :)

We’re looking forward to seeing the transformation you’ve done to your mom’s garden and I’m more than happy to help with details on how to upload photos via your mobile - it’s pretty straight forward.

I have a greenhouse, raised beds, patio pots (for cordon fruit trees, berries and herbs) and other numerous pots for plants and veggies. Like you, I sometimes take cuttings and I also grow plants and veggies from seed.

As regards house plants, I don’t seem to do very well with these :( so all I have are cactus and a Jurassic Spider (succulent), which I haven’t managed to kill yet.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Join the club mate..they seem to drop dead here for some reason :headscratch:

11. Kazzawazza

Kazzawazza Seedling

To add photos from your mobile:
    1. Click on ‘Upload an image’ at the bottom of your post.
    2. Click on ‘Choose file’ (Note: there is a 4.9MB size limit. You can reduce the size of photos but I think you will need to download an app to do this)
    3. Click on ‘My Files’, ‘Internal Storage’, ‘DCIM’, ‘Camera’
    4. Choose your image then click DONE
    5. Then click in the body of your post where you want to add the photo and choose either ‘Insert Thumbnail’ or ‘Insert Full Image’

Kminster, Frank and Gail-Steman like this.
  12. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Bonjour! @Kminster What type of flowers are there in your mother's garden?

Kminster and Gail-Steman like this.
  13. Kminster

Kminster New Seed

Hello @Petronius , we grow mostly cottage garden type plants. Dianthus, Carnations, Delphiniums, Hollyhocks, Lilies, Peonys, Fuchsias, Irises, Roses, Salvias, Narcissi, Tulips. Also a patio Victoria Plum, patio Sylvia Cherry, a couple of Willows, Acers, Yew, a few Pieris, Buddleia, Clematis. And loads of others. All in pots/containers.

Petronius, nitram and Gail-Steman like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My situation is similar to yours in that I also live in a flat...however, I joined one of the allotment organizations in our town and can enjoy gardening that way. Are there lotties near you...or do you plan to take an allotment at some point?
    I suppose that you can get your garden dosis by doing your mum's.
    Even if you don't, it sounds as if you can do some gardening your way. Chapeau to you for that.
    Welcome to GardenStew.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Gail-Steman and Kazzawazza like this.