Hi Everyone..Guess What????

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Dec 15, 2018.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

@Gail.....wellllllllllll! the trenches are gathering the water...lol. The yard on the other hand is still the yard. Haven't quite started that project yet. I am finally calming down and choosing my battles wisely, since it's only me out there at the moment. The grass/weeds has be cut this wknd before we get a notice. If we do get one, then i will gladly invite them to the yard to walk across it...hehe. So it's one area at a time and I picked the area in the back near the porch and under the dining room window to completely finish before I move on to the next. Boy am I still sore from that. Still have more plantings to put in there, but I am so proud of myself for making that hummer/butterfly garden, that I will gladly take the pain. I needed to do that to start getting that feeling back of just seeing progress in the yard. The lilies that I stuck in there Sunday, seem to be quite happy with their new home. Also have a lonely cabbage in there that seems to be at home..lol.
    With Shrubs.jpg
    After Shrubs w Drainage Trenches.jpg
    Some bulbs & trenches.jpg
    After w New bed.jpg
    View from Back Porch.jpg

Sjoerd, Odif and Gail-Steman like this.
  2. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well it's beyond me on this one :shrug: the only other way is piping:rolleyes: tell them to bring wellies [​IMG]

Well at least your doing good in other factors and I think you've done well since moving into that lovely property...JEALOUS [​IMG]...pleased your lillies are happy and your odd cabbage ;)

hummerbum likes this.
  3. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

@Gail I think that I am going to build the yard up..have a bit of a slight slope and attempt to change the soil structure when that time comes. Oh and I'm not telling them anything. They need to experience it for themselves, so that they will understand what has happened.:scheming:

Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I actually think when the time comes your best bet would be getting a digger in removing the whole lot from that area and restart a fresh, so you know your soil yourself and ground...such a shame though.
    I could just imagine the squelching and if they say anything, just say this [​IMG] :smt044

hummerbum likes this.

Advertisement
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

:chuckle: @Gail. I wish I could. I am still going to do a "dry" run next month on a decent sized spot--just to see if it would work before putting in the time and effort.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

I could just imagine it mate [​IMG]...are you ready [​IMG]

hummerbum likes this.
  7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Update 3/24/19: I'm just going to show pics pretty much...some are a little distorted - don't know why yet. Enjoy
    Update 3-24-19.jpg Updated Shot #2.jpg Update View from Back Porch (3-24-19).jpg Yellow & Zucchini Squash, Red Hybrid Tea Rose.jpg Veggie Update #1.jpg Veggie Update #2.jpg Veggie Update #3.jpg Comfrey.jpg
    I am a tad bit sore, but i'm loving it!!

Gail-Steman, Sjoerd and adam.ca like this.
  9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

hummerbum likes this.
  10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

@Gail-Steman ... i was trying not to bombard you all with the pics that i take...but since you asked for updates:D
    The Comfrey..so proud that all the cuttings have come alive..beautiful plants.....no i have not put them in the ground..had to finish my beds and now "visualize" where to put them...LMBO!! I just received about 100 bulbs (mini gladioli, bee balm, asters, tall phlox & dahlias) and I'm still visualizing...lol. I'm having so much fun watching everything grow here. The plants are so happy. As for the squash, the male blossoms are not opened for me to hand pollinate the ones in that pot (another thing i have to visualize where to put it). Two squashes(one pictured), hot pepper plant, swiss chard made it to the bed . Hubby told me that i couldn't wait to get my hand in the soil and everything is mostly in pots..haha! I told him that you just can't plop plants in the ground without preparing the soil...that's why the beds were made..for these plants. This year will be mostly pots for the veggies, but next year we should be in better shape for raised containers. Most of these plants have changed within a day. I have a few more mater plants not shown and intentionally not potted..so they are still "small". Need to get these into their permanent home first. Have not prepare my fencing yet just for this years pots in that side yard. Also the crossvine is losing it's mind and growing by leaps and bounds. My problem is that I can't pass a plant without bringing it home. I even have a mailbox & driveway corner garden bed prepared. I am definitely keeping my neighbors on their toes. When I come outside, it's not long before they are out there also. The man who had the best lawn somehow is a bit envious of me and my flowers..guess he thinks that i'm running so kind of race with him! Hubby said that they will lose, trying to keep up with me...he said that the neighbors don't realize that I watch/study garden videos all day every day and it's just not a hobby for me...it's a passion and hubby even said that he knew i had it bad, but now he really understands how big a passion it really is to me.
    Driveway Side Beds Formed.jpg Comfrey Jungle.jpg Comfrey 2.jpg Color.jpg Salvia.jpg Yay Squash.jpg Mammoth Jalapeno Peppers.jpg Saturday Breakfast.jpg Quite Happy.jpg Pot of Veggies.jpg Lillies.jpg Okra, More tomatoes, Noodle Beans, Basil (Genovese & Cinnamon).jpg Squash in bed.jpg

Whatever that was looking like mold, has been scraped away.
    More Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucs & Zucs, Melon.jpg Dwarf Tangerine & Lime Tree, Bush Beans.jpg

Odif, Gail-Steman and eileen like this.
  11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hello @hummerbum I love to hear how things are moving on :like:...why don't you draw a diagram and add small pictures of the plants as it would give you a rough idea also.
    Your right on potting them first as it helps trigger the growth and I do like this one very nice and the blues stunning and I see your birdy outlined ;)
    [​IMG]

That's definitely bad addiction if you can't come home with out a plant and what your hubby don't realise yet is wait till the home starts looking like a green house...you do make me :chuckle: this end.
    Mate you wouldn't believe how jealousy extends with some people it's sick but at least I bet you have a laugh when you see them appear...my hubby as knocked down one shed he built removed the metal shed, fetched all the wood and is now doing a 13ft one and already tonight a woman as come down the road crossed over to try and see above our gate :rolleyes:...that same couple have had vertical blinds the same as we, hanging baskets, it makes you wonder what makes them tick [​IMG]
    Well I've only watched video's when I need to but by what your saying it's a lovely passion your doing...good on ya mate [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    hummerbum likes this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Lol @Gail-Steman .... I love the idea, but would it be crazy to say that I cant sit still long enough to do that!!! That would definitely be a winter thing. I'm working on the addiction thing..hehe and yes, I am definitely laughing at the neighbors...i get a jump on them though..i have fridays off and usually my part is done when they come home and they jump right on their yards. Taking some of my plants/bulbs home for Mom's enjoyment. Had Amazon deliver pots and soil to her house and we'll get busy when I get there...a bit of Spring Cleaning with her. She can't do alot of things at this point, but she does want and need the flowers when she opens that front door...so I am going to do that for her. I think it will help her stay busy and help her memory to stay calm. So time to start packing. Everyone have a Happy and Safe Easter!!!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  13. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi @hummerbum you mays well be active while you have the nice weather and I do love your property..very nice :like:
    I could just imagine you [​IMG] and laughing at the neighbours moving in to motion [​IMG]

Oh bless mate that's a nice gesture for your mom and I hope it all goes to plan...Happy Easter yourself :)

hummerbum likes this.
  14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hello Everyone...It's been few weeks and I have been busy in the yarden. First of all, I did not make it to my mother's house because of weather, so I definitely will be going Friday morn, if nothing catastrophic comes up, like tornadoes.
    @Gail-Steman, thank you & that is too cute about the garden because that is exactly what is happening....:snicker:
    Meanwhile, things are growing quite nicely. I can honestly say that things are calming down and now i can breathe a bit and watch everything grow. Plug in plants here and there. I love the fact that there is a mixture of veggies and flowers in all the beds. I hope that the little squash did get pollinated. I've had neighbors (the ladies) stop and say how beautiful the yard looks with the hay/straw and all the plants going in...they can't wait to see everything in full bloom. Even hubby made me feel really good when he told me that he enjoys pulling into the driveway and seeing all the plants in the yard..he said it makes him smile. Ya'll, don't think that i don't hear about the amount of money spent on the yard....but then his chest is stuck out like a proud rooster!!! :chuckle: Over the weekend finally made a small enclosed garden spot for all those veggie/fruit plants that were hanging around the pool. This shot is at 1:30 p.m. They get full morning sun (I know from trying to dodge my back from those rays while building the spot) from about 8:00 a.m. to about 1:30 p.m. Here in the South, the shade will be welcomed, I know it was to me...hehe. The squirrels are plentiful in that area of the yard:smt093, so i have plenty of bird-netting in, over and around the chicken wire, even the opening to the garden, but enough opening for the butterflies, dragonflies, etc. The hummers (male & female) are enjoying the yarden just as much as I am. Silly bird even flew into the pool area and couldn't get out...his lady even flew to the feeder then the screen trying to coax him out. After 5 mins of watching if he would get himself out, I couldn't take it anymore and helped him out. I used the pool skimmer to guide him...poor thing, he was exhausted by then and all he wanted to do was perch on the skimmer to catch his breath...my first upclose look at a hummer. I had no problems getting him to stay on it while i slowly moved to the hole in the screen over the pool, that the storm left. He finally got the message after sticking him partially through the hole, hoping not to injure him with the screen wire. He is fine and both have been all over the yard.
    Here are updated pics...
    Garden Spot.jpg
    Happy Easter.jpg
    Easter 2.jpg
    This zucchini blossom was wide opened this morn.
    Zucchini.jpg

Gail-Steman and Jewell like this.
  15. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Update 5/1/19: A little dark..7 a.m. this morning.
    Haven't figured out what i want to do with that grass path yet.
    Update 5-1-19 Part 1.jpg Update 5-1-19 Part 2.jpg
    Update 5-1-19.jpg Zucchini Blossom.jpg

Gail-Steman likes this.