Hi from Florida

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by kandie, Aug 27, 2006.

1. kandie

kandie New Seed

Florida Plants, shrubs, easy to get started and care for

Hi, I am new here too... I tend to have a 'black thumb' but with help from other gardeners in the local area I am getting help.... what I am planting are cuttings from Plumeria (the Hawaian Lei plant).. from what most have told me they are REALLY easy to care for and pretty easy to get started... you can google and find lots of info there.. but from what I've read they do well in our climate and soil.. They are green all year long but when they flower, they make the most beautiful flowers... you can get in different colors... if you have a local 'freecycle' group (www.freecycle.org, find your local group) there you might try joining that and asking to see if anyone has cuttings or plants they want to part with.. I did and have received LOTS of nice plants and cuttings to get me started... this way I'm not spending a chunk of $$ incase my black thumb prevails :rolleyes:

I am also planting Elephant Ears around them... those I know are easy to grow.. at least in my experience.. they almost grow themselves... and do tend to spread out easily and fill up the area...

I started off with just some herbs and a couple of veggies, and they actually started to grow, so the bug bit me :-o

Anyway, good luck... happy gardening!!

Kandie

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Lolli315
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. IGrow
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the community Kandie, we are happy to help here as best we can :D Just ask questions in any of our many forums and we will see what we can do.

Hope you enjoy it here :smt023

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Welcome to the Stew Kandie. I think plumeria's are pretty, wish they would grow here. You must post pics.

5. kandie

kandie New Seed

Hi all :)

Thanks for the welcomes all :) I will try to get some pics of the babies if the hurricane doesn't blow me away in a couple of days haha... then we will see in a few weeks or so how they are fairing with my errr.. thumb issue ;))

I think I have been a closet gardener for a long time now, but after a really miserable attempt a couple of years ago to start a nice flower garden, I just gave up... so maybe this time, with help and planting the right plants in the right places... I'll have better luck!!

Anyhoooo, I'll be seeing you all around :) 8)

Take care,
    Kandie

Advertisement
  6. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Welcome to Kandie!

muddy

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hiya Kandie,

I'm sure your 'black' thumb will soon be a [​IMG] with a little help from your friends and the folks here at the Stew. :-D I'd like to welcome you to the forums where I'm sure you'll fit in just fine... and remember...don't be afraid to ask questions as we all love to help each other out here.

8. kandie

kandie New Seed

Hey, is that MY new thumb???

WOOO HOO!! hahahah.... I love it!!! Let's hope THAT is my new thumb!!! :wave: . This is for all of you>> :setc_088: . Hey, by the way, where to you get those pretty tag lines at?? I'd like to add something interesting to my tag :setc_005: . haha... well, guess I'm done playing for NOW.... if it's clear today when I get home, I'll go take pickies of the babies... I have one that I need to put in the 'plant ID forum' ... it was given to me... it's... interesting, but I'm not sure what it is... (it's LIKE an aloe vera plant, but it's a tree with MUCH smaller leaves that grow all the way up the stalk.. then it drops TINY seeds or something to create more small aloe like leaves which will supposedly sprout into more trees... supposedly it will get TALL.. like up to 5 feet) LOL... well, 2 really...

I'm sure I'll be asking questions... I have been going through the forums and blogs... lots of info there!!

Anyway good morning!!!! TTYS (talk to ya soon)
    Kandie :setf_031:

9. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi Kandie, I'm a newbie too and watching that hurricane here in SC as well. Not looking good for you at the moment. I had troubles too when I started gardening but didn't give up and have flowers growing everywhere now. Never had any problems growing veggies, just plants and flowers. Had to learn what grew best in my zone. I think we found a great site here with lots of helpful gardening folks and unlimited info. Nice to "meet" ya.

10. kandie

kandie New Seed

Good Morning

Hi Southern Bell!! good morning!! I see there's another early to rise person here hehe... yea, hopefully that hurricane turns tail the other way..... good luck to you!! I think your right and we've found a great community of gardening enthusiasts!! Can't wait!! What do you have in your garden? I'm gonna take some pics of the babies I just planted this weekend and keep everyone posted on the progress.... :)

Well, off to WORK ugh!! Have a great day:))

Kandie

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Welcome and hello. Even the most experienced gardeners have trouble from time to time. Never give up-gardening will give you a lifetime of pleasure. Stay safe from the hurricane. 8)

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Many welcomes! Wow, wish I could grow things like that up here - and you are quite brave putting in huge things like elephant ears, good space-fillers indeed. We are glad to have you!

(Oh, and you get the little 'title' with your name when you pass 500 posts - with many a thanks to our dedicated garden gnome, Frank)

13. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Hi again Kandi, I have all kinds of plants. To name a few. Canna, elephant ears, Amaryillis, daylillies, iris, butterfly bushes, lilies, roses, succulents, rose of sharon, hibiscus, hydrangia, gardenia, azalea, holly,jasmine, hosta, and lots more. Those are my perrinials. Got lots of annuals too. Hubby says..is there no end? Wonder if this site does plant and seed trading? I like doing that. Have a good day at work.

14. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Welcome I too once had a black thumb but with the help of my wife(Cajun Belle) Ihave upgraded to light brown.

15. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Welcome Kandie and southernbelle!! Glad to have you on board!! Reggaefan I thought I'd seen the cute little dog in your avatar before!!! It's Lucky!!!

16. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Cute dog reggaefan, I have a few miniature pinschers.
    Good that you and the wife garden together, I have to twist hubby's arm to get help.